Author Topic: Surname on an Australian Wedding Register 1855  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Surname on an Australian Wedding Register 1855
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 April 18 02:01 BST (UK) »
There is an 1855 marriage, Victoria reg 1422, Mary McCool to Sebastien Pinto

M

Well done matthew, I was looking on the Vic BDM earlier for variations of "Pente", but didn't think to look for Mary McCool.

Interesting item here in the news, probably about Sebastian:
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article241143937

They had at least 7 children, he died in 1890, Mary in 1911.

Fascinating. Thanks both of you for digging that up. I've done some more hunting and found their daughter on myheritage. It looks like Sebastien was from Kerala, India, which I believe was colonised by the Portugese so I guess that might explain him being labelled as "coloured" in the newspaper. I'll do a little more looking.

I’m wondering what you mean by ‘you have found their daughter on my heritage’? I assume you mean a deceased one in someone’s online tree.

If you were seeing the family on Heritage, did you see the photo of Sebastian’s plaque? It says his parents were Portuguese.

We’re Mary and Sebastian related to the married couple, or just witnesses? I ask because I have all the BDM listings for them and their 10 children, if you want them.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams