Author Topic: Can anybody date this photo of Dorothy Turner?  (Read 708 times)

Offline Teletran

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anybody date this photo of Dorothy Turner?
« on: Wednesday 18 April 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
Good evening all,
Would anybody be able to estimate a date for this photo?  This is my paternal Grandmother and I would guess that it was taken in her 20's which would date late 1920's early 30's.  Most of her early life was spend in Harrow, Neasden, Willesden, basically 'middlesex'.  There is no data on the back save handwritten numbers which I assume are negatives numbers of the like. Looks like Raphael Studios?

Any help is appreciated.

Kind Regards

Teletran

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can anybody date this photo of Dorothy Turner?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 April 18 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Teletran,

I'd agree with you on the dates. Your grandmother has the finger curls popular in the 1920's and looks to be in her late 20's. So 1920's but not much later.

Regards
AJ

Offline Teletran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 April 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks AJ100 appreciated.

Some folks on the forum are experts on the Photography Studios themselves and can date from border designs etc.  I wonder if they could add more.

Thanks again.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 April 18 14:31 BST (UK) »
I would agree with AJ as finger waving was popular in the 1920s..I couldn't find any info on the studio and the mount gives no clues as it was a popular format, so I think you will struggle to get any closer with a date.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU