Author Topic: Return of early Colonists to England.....any resources to search?  (Read 520 times)

Offline Leashl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Return of early Colonists to England.....any resources to search?
« on: Thursday 19 April 18 01:42 BST (UK) »
Hello! I am of the opinion that my Hutchinson ancestors were early colonists to the USA and returned around 1700 and settled in the south-east of England. Most Hutch's are from the North and early settlers to the colonies developed a huge Hutch family in the Boston, Mass area. Miss Philadelphia Hutchinson may also be a clue and a touch of Native American in the DNA (pinch of salt). If anyone knows where I could search for returnees I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Graham Hutchinson
Hutchinson - Sussex; Underwood - Marylebone; Ensor - Marylebone; Bemmer - Middlesex/Prussia; Groocock - Husbands Bosworth; Hale - Stanstead Abbotss/Brentford; Price - Middlesex;

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Return of early Colonists to England.....any resources to search?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 April 18 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, Graham:

The Internet Archive can be a good source for old books that have been digitized:
https://archive.org/

Good luck in your search!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 April 18 18:57 BST (UK) »
There were not a few early colonists returned to England during the Civil War too. Mainly for Parliament I would think.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 April 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hello! I am of the opinion that my Hutchinson ancestors were early colonists to the USA and returned around 1700 and settled in the south-east of England. Most Hutch's are from the North and early settlers to the colonies developed a huge Hutch family in the Boston, Mass area. Miss Philadelphia Hutchinson may also be a clue and a touch of Native American in the DNA (pinch of salt). If anyone knows where I could search for returnees I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Graham Hutchinson

That's an interesting request. I too would like to know if there are any online sources for the names of families/individuals who went to the New World and came back again.