Author Topic: Where is George CROOT  (Read 3793 times)

Offline tomlingirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is George CROOT
« Reply #36 on: Friday 20 April 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
1921 stillbirth.........

1921/16445   Cook   NR   Minnie Letitia   Archibald George   S

Minniehaha.

Awesome,  there it is, many thanks Minniehaha - wonder if bab was buried with grandparents ?? in the family plots at Greytown or somewhere else. 

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 21 April 18 03:30 BST (UK) »
Part quote from reply #32...

"Have any of you ever come across a burial with no records before - sound unbelievable that someone might be buried and then 'lost' without records.. but does it happen ??"

A little different but the only 'footprint' concerning the death of my great-grandmother is the insertion of her death notice in the local newspaper. This however only provides her date of death.

Place of burial unknown. Death not registered. However the death occurred 1858 so I imagine things like registration & burial records were only just getting under way in the young colony.

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Spenhall

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 24 February 22 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Good evening

I too am looking for George and went to Martinborough today to find Sarahs grave.
 A spoke to the guy at reception at the Martinborough Hotel and he gave me the contact telephone number for the local historian, a lovely old man known to all as 'Mate'.
 He said he knew quite a bit about george and Sarah, and suggested I pick him up for a quick tour. I did that and he took me to the bakery/accommodation house that George established at 34 Jellicoe Street Martinborough, and then to the cemetery.
 He told me that despite his name not being in the headstone, George, as well as his 10 year old son George, are buried with Sarah at Waihenga Cemetery. He told me that he had found through his research that George had died in the Taranaki area and his body was transported by train back to Wairarapa and was then buried at Waihenga.
 The grave appeared in good clean condition, thanks to the hard work of some locals or possibly even family, but it was on a hell of.a lean. Id love to fix that up.
 I am the great Grandson of George and Sarahs son, Walter McDonald Croot.