Author Topic: William Scott / Margaret Kent  (Read 815 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Scott / Margaret Kent
« on: Thursday 19 April 18 04:53 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the parents of William Scott.

The first record I have of him is on his only child, William’s baptism record in Bothwell:  "William lawful son of William SCOTT South Adderston and of his spouse Margaret KENT born 16th June 1827".

Then, he is gone. I couldn’t find their marriage record. Margaret remarried in 1829 to William Cullen and had several children with him.

There’s a burial at Bellshill Relief Church on Scotland’s People for a William Scott, no age, Oct 1826 which would mean he died about 8 months before his son was baptised. I suppose that’s possible but no proof it’s him.

I noticed in the census a Scott family at Adderston, Bothwell  and am wondering if my William is connected, but no proof.

Any assistance appreciated!

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Scott / Margaret Kent
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 April 18 11:35 BST (UK) »

I’m wondering if they married, did her second marriage record elude to William Scott?

I note that there appears to be only 3 likely William’s born in Bothwell, 2 father James and the one below, which seems to be a possibility.

WILLIAM SCOTT/MARY MILLER - Children Bothwell

WILLIAM 13/11/1803
+
John 1801, Margret 1803, Daniel 1811 & James 1813.

Now the strange thing about this couple is that there was an earlier record for a William at BELLSHILL RELIEF born 18 AUGUST 1799 baptised 25 AUGUST 1799. They also had others baptised there, Alexander 1795, Jien 1797 & Marry 1801. (As transcribed).

There are also burials at Bellshill Relief William 1802, John 1807, Margaret 1819 plus others unnamed.

Hope this helps

Regards Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 April 18 12:05 BST (UK) »
WILLIAM 13/11/1803
Now the strange thing about this couple is that there was an earlier record for a William at BELLSHILL RELIEF born 18 AUGUST 1799 baptised 25 AUGUST 1799.
There are also burials at Bellshill Relief William 1802, John 1807, Margaret 1819 plus others unnamed.
That makes perfect sense if the William born in 1799 died in 1802 and the next child was given the name of his deceased elder brother - very common.

Have you seen the original of the second marriage record?

If he had died before the baptism of William in 1827, I would have expected the baptism to say that he was deceased.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 April 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
WILLIAM 13/11/1803
Now the strange thing about this couple is that there was an earlier record for a William at BELLSHILL RELIEF born 18 AUGUST 1799 baptised 25 AUGUST 1799.
That makes perfect sense if the William born in 1799 died in 1802 and the next child was given the name of his deceased elder brother - very common.

Have you seen the original of the second marriage record?

If he had died before the baptism of William in 1827, I would have expected the baptism to say that he was deceased.

The original marriage record simply says “William Cullen and Margt Kent” and the date. It’s also at Bothwell. I know this the same Margaret because William Scott JR is living with William and Margaret Cullen in Bothwell in the census in 1841.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 April 18 12:52 BST (UK) »
Pity. You do sometimes get a mention of a previous husband in a pre-1855 marriage records, but ISTR that the Bothwell parish register is not as informative as one might hope.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 April 18 13:21 BST (UK) »
The family at Adderstone in 1841 consists of William Scott, 65, farmer; Janet Scott, 55; Gavin Scott, 35; Cathrine Scott, 30; and William Scott, 20.

Gavin and Cathrine match the family of William Scott and Janet Gray
Gavin, baptised 27 April 1802
Robert, baptised 7 August 1804
Katherine, baptised 6 June 1806
Mary, baptised 15 March 1811

Gavin's baptism is in both the Bothwell parish register and the Bellshill Relief parish register.

I haven't found baptisms for Robert or Mary, but if William is a son of William and Janet, then Margaret Kent was not their daughter-in-law. Which gets me precisely nowhere :(

If I were you, I would be thinking in terms of either going to a Scotland's People Centre, or getting hold of a copy of the microfilm of the Bothwell parish register and the Bellshill Relief parish register, and going through both to extract all references to Adderston(e), then see where that would take me.