Author Topic: Deceased uncle hospitalisation  (Read 1916 times)

Offline cindym19721

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Deceased uncle hospitalisation
« on: Thursday 19 April 18 13:36 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if there is any way to discover proof that an uncle of mine (who died as an infant) was actually brought over from County Cork to London in the 1940's? Other than finding a death record in Surrey, I've found nothing.

I once saw a photo of him and know the probable cause of death but wondered if I can access any sort of medical/hospital history. The attached screenshots are literally everything I have.
GEDmatch: H669831

Looking into my adoptive family roots:- Clark -  England,
Heffernan - ROI & Australia,
Kempton - UK & NZ,
Handy - UK
Genealogy for a friend:-
Goldsmith - south east England

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Deceased uncle hospitalisation
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 April 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
First thing is to get copies of those birth/death certificates to confirm that this is the same boy.

Have you checked the 1939 Register ?

Offline cindym19721

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 April 18 13:53 BST (UK) »
First thing is to get copies of those birth/death certificates to confirm that this is the same boy.

Have you checked the 1939 Register ?

I know that the family came over from Fermoy, because my mother was born in Surrey in 1940, so that part is true. Do I really need the certs?

I haven't checked the 1939 register, is it available via ancestry?

Kempton - UK & NZ,
Handy - UK

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 April 18 14:03 BST (UK) »
Adding to what's just been said...

For a child of that age, the death certificate ought to give the name of his father. The mother too, if she was the one who registered the death. It would also confirm the cause of death.

The 1939 Register is at FindMyPast - it doesn't give places of birth, but it has exact dates, and if any of the women married or remarried over about the next 40(?) years, their new surnames are usually also shown. Quite a few points of reference, then, to check if this could be the right one.

(There is a likely-looking entry in the 1939 Register; anyone can see brief details without paying, but you need to pay to see the lot. FindMyPast T&Cs don't allow us to do look-ups or provide information here in such a way that others can avoid paying.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cindym19721

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 April 18 14:05 BST (UK) »
Adding to what's just been said...

For a child of that age, the death certificate ought to give the name of his father. The mother too, if she was the one who registered the death. It would also confirm the cause of death.

The 1939 Register is at FindMyPast - it doesn't give places of birth, but it has exact dates, and if any of the women married or remarried over about the next 40(?) years, their new surnames are usually also shown. Quite a few points of reference, then, to check if this could be the right one.

(There is a likely-looking entry in the 1939 Register; anyone can see brief details without paying, but you need to pay to see the lot. FindMyPast T&Cs don't allow us to do look-ups or provide information here in such a way that others can avoid paying.)

Thank you for taking a quick look, I guess I'll have to pay to get my hands on it ;)

Kempton - UK & NZ,
Handy - UK

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 April 18 14:13 BST (UK) »
Your local library probably has access to FindMyPast, you can check on their web page
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 April 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
A Margaret Hefferan married a Patrick Wheeler in Fermoy district on 23/10/1936. Their marriage certificate is free to view at www.irishgenealogy.ie . Patrick was a widower. Respective fathers being Charles Wheeler and John Hefferan.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline cindym19721

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 April 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
A Margaret Hefferan married a Patrick Wheeler in Fermoy district on 23/10/1936. Their marriage certificate is free ti view at www.irishgenealogy.ie .

That's my Nan and Grandad, it was his 2nd marriage, he died of a massive cerebral haemorrhage in 1949 while cycling home from work. She died in 2004.

Kempton - UK & NZ,
Handy - UK

Offline cindym19721

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 April 18 14:52 BST (UK) »
It looks like there was either a stuff up when writing their name for the register, or, and this is more likely.... the stuff up with the spelling of my Nan's maiden name has occurred at some point when she has told people what it was. I was under the impression that she was a HEFFERNAN, seems that she may have been a HEFFERAN, small difference but when it comes to family trees, that's pretty huge! I also have the incorrect info for her parents, because I had never actually seen their registry entry and took what my mother told me as gospel! Ughhhh

Thanks all for your replies, I'll get to fixing the tree now

Kempton - UK & NZ,
Handy - UK