Author Topic: "Transcribe what you see" !  (Read 2049 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Transcribe what you see" !
« on: Thursday 19 April 18 13:43 BST (UK) »
I have just found a family on the 1881 census, where the head of household has been a bit more precise with one of his children's ages than recording a whole number of years. He has recorded her as 13½ (Thirteen and a half ). FindMyPast has transcribed this as 14 (rather than 13 which is what the father should have recorded for his thirteen and a half year old) making her calculated year of birth 1867 instead of 1868 ( a year too early). Ancestry has  written "younger than 13" alongside "Age", but has calculated year of birth as 1868 so have based it on age 13.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: "Transcribe what you see" !
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 April 18 14:27 BST (UK) »
The census was taken a quarter of the way through the year, so she was certainly born in 1867.

Even if the age had been given as 13 there would still be a 3:1 probability that she was born in 1867 rather than 1868.  Ancestry and FindMyPast have failed to grasp that simple arithmetic.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 July 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
Well, 1841 census was in June ... but ages (other than for under 15s) were not supposed to be accurately recorded anyway.

I'm not sure it's that the genealogy sites haven't grasped it ... more that the computer programmers need a simple algorithm, and "subtract reported age from year of census" is the easiest way to do it!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 July 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
I've just found a woman of 32 in the 1861 Census who has a granddaughter of 16 living with her! Both the ages are quite clearly written
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 July 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
Old Bristolian:  My mum told me that when she found out she was expecting me (1944), she met an old friend of hers, pushing a pram.  Mum, who hadn't met her for quite some time, said "I didn't know you'd had another baby - I shall be joining you soon".  To which her friend replied, "she's my grand-daughter".  Mum was 38, her friend was 32.  She had married at 16 (shotgun) as had her daughter (ditto), so it's not usual, but equally not totally rare.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 July 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
I've just found a woman of 32 in the 1861 Census who has a granddaughter of 16 living with her! Both the ages are quite clearly written

Here the 16 year old is a  grand-daughter ...

BUT

Old Bristolian:  My mum told me that when she found out she was expecting me (1944), she met an old friend of hers, pushing a pram.  Mum, who hadn't met her for quite some time, said "I didn't know you'd had another baby - I shall be joining you soon".  To which her friend replied, "she's my grand-daughter".  Mum was 38, her friend was 32.  She had married at 16 (shotgun) as had her daughter (ditto), so it's not usual, but equally not totally rare.

Here in your example ... Grand-daughter is a baby ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 July 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
Oops!  Not READING what I see... ::) ???
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 July 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
I am transcribing and have found a lot of the words very hard to decipher. I once asked for a second opinion on a word which looked like Jolsulive, but it was Operative.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 22:35 BST (UK) »
On one census my relative's age was given as 23 and her Daughter's age as 13...the mother's age should have been recorded as 33.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU