Author Topic: Can a great uncle be refereed to as a paternal ancestor  (Read 1078 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can a great uncle be refereed to as a paternal ancestor
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 April 18 01:24 BST (UK) »
They are my fathers ancestors = paternal

They are on my mothers side = maternal

Maternal uncle , paternal gguncle. It defines the side of the tree
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Can a great uncle be refereed to as a paternal ancestor
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 April 18 04:55 BST (UK) »
Does it make grammatical sense to say that a great great great uncle (on someones fatherline) is a "paternal ancestor"?

I would agree on this as others do as (in my opnion) they're still on a branch of your 'direct' ancestor.

What I don't agree with is when someone refers to their grand parents siblings as being a 'great aunt/uncle'...

A 'great' (to me) would be the sibling of my great grandparent i.e. if people refer to their grandparents' sibling then (to me) they would be my grand aunt/uncle but...each to their own although I find it far easier with how I refer to my ancestors siblings to keep with the prefix e.g....

My grandmother was Mary & my granduncle (Mary's sibling) was John

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"