Author Topic: Printing Family Tree on Excel Speadsheet  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Printing Family Tree on Excel Speadsheet
« on: Thursday 19 April 18 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have put my family tree on excel and last year managed to save it as a PDF document on A3 and have it printed off at the local printers.  I have now put more names on it, tried the same procedure but cannot get the print to enlarge now without losing part of the tree and it is therefore too small to read when printed out.  I have changed my computer since last year and various parts of the software have changed.  Can anyone advise me please on a way to save to PDF to enable me to print it off.  I should say the machine at the printers does not have a limit for printing width wise so it should be feasible.  Thank you  Cathy  :(
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
Re: Printing Family Tree on Excel Speadsheet
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 April 18 18:59 BST (UK) »
You could send your details to these,    http://www.genealogyprinters.com/
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 April 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Silvery for the Link.  This maybe something I look into for a final printing but at the moment I want to create a draft for a family reunion coming up in May.  An ideal opportunity for the younger ones to fill out some much needed dates and full names.
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 April 18 21:09 BST (UK) »
If you are still using Excel, then Save As and selecting PDF should work?

If that isn't working can you tell us which version of Excel you are using?
And which version, of which Operating System?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 April 18 00:31 BST (UK) »
I would imagine in Excel, you have to specify a fictitious paper size that is big enough for the whole chart to then be printed on one page of that size.   Then saving as PDF might save it as that size.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 April 18 12:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you KGarrad and JohninSussex for your help.  I am using Excel 2007.  I actually did a tree on excel last year and had trouble then.  Eventually I scaled it down to 10%, downloaded a printer for PDF and saved the spreadsheet onto A3.  Then I scaled the document up again so that it could be read.  It printed out at my local printers 8 feet wide but everything was readable.  I have tried to do the same this time but am having trouble getting the Excel spreadsheet to fill the A3 paper as at 10% it does not fill it but the next size up is 15% and that is too large.  I have tried to adjust the PDF document in the windows 10 pdf software that opens the pdf document after saving it but cannot seem to find out how to scale it up on there.  My operating system is Windows 10.

We are having a family reunion and I was hoping to take this tree there so that everyone could see it.  If I cannot resolve it I may have to resort to printing off excel and sticking it all together!!!! :o

Thanks
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 April 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
Have you tried taking the spreadsheet on disc/usb to the print shop to see if they can print it from their computer with their software?

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 April 18 16:25 BST (UK) »

We are having a family reunion and I was hoping to take this tree there so that everyone could see it.  If I cannot resolve it I may have to resort to printing off excel and sticking it all together!!!! :o

Thanks

This is what i did last year when we had a re-union -- many sheets of A4 paper stuck on large cardboard sheets.

Each branch of the family was a different colour on the chart -- and everyone had a colour-coded name badge to match.

Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 April 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi dawnsh and Marmalady.

I have taken the tree on a memory stick to the printers, Paul has loaded it onto his software but is unable to alter it.  I have to convert it to the PDF document before he can use it on his computer.  I am still tinkering with it and hope upon hope to have a breakthrough eventually. 

Looking at your tree Marmalady, has given me an idea of how I could do it with A4 sheets for the party if all attempts to proceed with the pdf document fail.  Thank you both for your input.
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden