Author Topic: Printing Family Tree on Excel Speadsheet  (Read 2099 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Printing Family Tree on Excel Speadsheet
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 April 18 18:07 BST (UK) »

I don't know if this will help with what you are wanting to do, but I have used a programme called GedXlate which converted my gedcom into an Excel spreadsheet with all the names and information.
I can choose from the programme what info to include and then select the format, I chose Excel. I haven't tried to print it, no ink in the printer at present, but I don't see why it shouldn't once it's converted to Excel format, I would imagine it would print the same as any spreadsheet.

You can download it for free here if you want to try it

http://gedxlate.software.informer.com/download/
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 April 18 11:27 BST (UK) »

I don't know if this will help with what you are wanting to do, but I have used a programme called GedXlate which converted my gedcom into an Excel spreadsheet

I don't think it will help at all, OP already has the tree in Excel, there's no requirement to convert it from gedcom to xls.

I think it's just a case of playing about with the print area in Excel, output paper size, font size, that kind of thing, to get the output you want. You may have to go to more than one sheet in order to keep the font size readable depending on how big your tree is.

Install CutePDF (free download) to "print" directly to PDF format from Excel - it just changes your default printer to a PDF file. Or LibreOffice Calc (free download) can read Excel files and save as PDF directly.

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 April 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi 3sillydogs and Angus McCoatup,  Thank you for your suggestions.  Angus is right, I already have the tree on Excel.  I did part of the tree last year and managed to manipulate it to print out at the printers.  However, since then I have changed computers and the software has altered on my computer but I did last Night download Acrobat Reader and think I may be able to alter it enough for the local printer to print it.  Should I be successful I will post a blow by blow list of how I did it to help anyone else wishing to do the same.  Very grateful for all your helpful suggestions.  :)
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 13:25 BST (UK) »
Well after a lot of frustrating hours trying to get this tree on one sheet to print I took it to the printers and left it with Paul.  I am going to pick it up (if he has managed to print it out) on Thursday so fingers crossed!!!!!!  ;D
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk