Author Topic: Mary Currie born Irvine around 1835/1841  (Read 3280 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Currie born Irvine around 1835/1841
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 April 18 08:02 BST (UK) »
I have looked at the 1871 Census entry and think the daughter aged 4 is Margaret (Margt on Census)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 20 April 18 08:05 BST (UK) »
I have these series of births from IGI with no father :

Margaret Currie   1865  Irvine  mother:Mary Currie

William Currie   1867 Irvine   mother:   Mary Currie   

Robert Curriel 1864   Irvine   mother:   Mary Currie

George Currie   1870   Irvine   mother:   Mary Currie   

Mary Currie  1861  Irvine  mother:Mary Currie

but no Jane/Janet/Jean/Jeanie

And,

I would say the first four names listed are the children recorded as Scott with Mary Carrie/Currie on the 1871 Census.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 20 April 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, a lot better as Margt for Mary.

Going now.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 20 April 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
Finding it hard to locate Jane Currie on the 1871 Census (unless she is the 9 year old Jane McCann with Mary Carrie/Currie . which I suspect she could be).
Her birth is also elusive  ???
The Jane Spence McCann born 1863 was born to James McCann and Margaret Muir https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY51-H5D
and this family appear on 1871 England Census -
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5B1-34X
so it's not another child lodging with Mary and mis-recorded as daughter.

However while messing about with free searches on Scotlands People , I had a look at Cardy/Cardie births in Ayrshire after 1883.

CARDY AGNES JANE 1883 St Quivox and Newton On Ayr
CARDY WILLIAM JOHN  1885 St Quivox and Newton On Ayr
CARDY ROBERT SCOTT 1887 St Quivox and Newton On Ayr
CARDY SAMUEL M 1890 St Quivox and Newton On Ayr

CARDIE MARY CURRIE 1896  Ayr
CARDIE JOHN MADDEN 1900 Ayr

The above John Madden Cardie birth in 1900 really intrigued me as John Madden was the half brother of Mary Currie and would have been uncle (half) to Mary Currie's children. Therefore if this birth is to Jane Currie and Samuel Cardie this would perhaps provide a link to the Currie family on the 1851 & 1861 Census.

Looby :)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 April 18 12:44 BST (UK) »
Not seen that John Madden Currie birth, just John Currie, 5 months, on 1901 census(plus several siblings).

Getting there:

Birth of John Madden Currie on September 11th 1900 at 65 Wallace street, Ayr, to Samuel Cardie and Jane Cardie/Currie

Still missing Jane's birth - which is where I started.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 20 April 18 14:27 BST (UK) »
I'm going to stick my neck out and say that I think the 1861 birth of Mary Currie- Illegitimate- to Mary Currie , Muslin Sewer is your Jane Currie  :-\
Weird :-X I know because Mary Currie , Muslin Sewer already had an illegitimate daughter who is recorded on 1861 Census as Mary Lawrie.

This Mary Currie is born in 1861 has a birth date of 18th April ( 12 days after the 1861 Census was taken). The place of birth is Boat Stabs in the Parish of Dundonald.

The 1861 Census entry for Mary Currie Muslin Sewer with her half brother John Madden and daughter Mary Lawrie is at Gottries/Guthries in Parish of Dundondald.

I believe Gottries/Guthries/Boat Stabs were all part of the same area - poor accommodation on the riverbank on the Dundonald Parish side the River Irvine.

I could be way off track, of course.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 20 April 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
Just out of interest -
There is a man lodging on High Street Irvine in 1851 -
Peter Madan - aged 40 - agricultural labourer born Ireland.

The names Peter and Patrick were/are interchangeable.

I'm butting in to say thanks for that piece of information. An Irish GGF was Peter from the west of Ireland. He remained there all his life.
I see from www.whatsinaname.net that the 2 names were interchangeable in Scotland.
According to  fhr.kiwicelts.com/Research/Gen_Nicknames.html they were interchangeable in Ulster.
The latter site lists some forenames which were popular in certain parts of Ireland.
Cowban

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 20 April 18 21:11 BST (UK) »
As Jane/Jeanie Currie/Cardie did not die until 1952, her great-grandson was alive then, so have got him on the case.  Do not expect anything significant but will wait and see.

If the death certificate information is correct she has to be born in either 1863 or 1864.

It is just very strange that there are so many Currie's with mother Mary Currie, unmarried, but no Jane.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 20 April 18 21:34 BST (UK) »
The only Jane you have is Jane McCann , with mother Mary Currie (unmarried) and all the Scott siblings.  Mary seems to give all her children their father's names on the 1861 and 1871 Censuses
Jane McCann is recorded as 9 in 1871 so a birth  year on 1861/62.

Jane Currie and Samuel Cardy/ Cardie have a child John Madden Cardie - which ties to Mary Currie's half brother.
There is also a birth of a Robert  Scott Cardy at St Quivox and Newton on Ayr in 1887 - is this boy also Jane and Samuel's ? If so he appears to be named for a son of Mary Currie's ....and therefore a brother of Jane's - the child Robert Scott (who is registered as Currie and is born 1864) .

Boat Stabs where Mary Currie gives birth to a daughter named Mary Currie on 18th April 1861 is the same place as Gottries/ Guthries where Mary Currie snr is recorded as living 12 days earlier on 1861 Census. Info I have looked at suggests that Boat Stabs was probably the name of some sort of building in the area of Gottries. She is the only Mary Currie in that area on 1861 Census.

Is it possible that Mary Currie born 18th April 1861 is in fact Jane McCann? I know it is bizarre and you'll never be able to prove one way or other....but the fact that there is no birth registered for Jane....and there is no death registered (that I can see) for the child Mary and no Census entry either.  Could the registrar have recorded the wrong name? Could he have written the name of the mother as the name of the child  ???  Who knows?

Looby  :)