Author Topic: Date and Clean-up, Please? Unknown ancestor, Pennsylvania, USA  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Date and Clean-up, Please? Unknown ancestor, Pennsylvania, USA
« on: Friday 20 April 18 00:05 BST (UK) »
My husband has ancestors who lived in Pennsylvania.  The attached photograph is in an old family album. I don't known if there are any names or dates on the photographs; I cannot get most of the photographs out of the album without tearing the paper.  (The photos were slid into slots on the thick cardboard(?) pages.)

I know the photo is very difficult to see but I am wondering if there might be any guesses of her age and when the photograph could have been taken, please?  If anyone is up for a challenge to tidy up the photo, that would be amazing.

According to one online source, the photographer was born in 1846, learned photography at age 22, and moved to Littlestown in 1875.  Thank you very much, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Date and Clean-up, Please? Unknown ancestor, Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 April 18 10:35 BST (UK) »
1870's.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 April 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Jim.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 April 18 10:44 BST (UK) »
Wondering if the dress style is the early 1870s, Jim - say 1870-75?

What a gorgeous photo, Lisa. I'm busy jewellery making but might have a go later  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 April 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget:

The album has 20-30 (I don't remember how many) photographs but this one caught my eye.  The photo is somewhat small and very faded and just seemed different from the rest of the photographs.

Have an enjoyable, relaxing time with your jewellery making (with the help of my son, I've made some jewellery and have found it to be fun).   :)

Thank you for your thoughts on the dress style.  Time to turn off the computer again.  Lisa

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 April 18 01:49 BST (UK) »
My try.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 April 18 04:53 BST (UK) »
As it appears you have to photo yourself, would it be possible to scan it again at 300dpi?

It is very low resolution at the moment but could possibly come up well if you gave the restorers a bit more to work with . . .   ;) . . . .   just asking.   

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 April 18 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter:  Thank you very much; that is wonderful!

Hi Wiggy:  Unfortunately, we cannot scan the photograph.  The first photographs were taken with my tablet; we just took another one, using my son's i-pad; hopefully, it might produce better results?  The original is about 6 cm by 10 1/2 cm so it is fairly small (compared to most of the other photos in the album).  If the dpi still isn't what it should be, that's ok as I am very happy with Peter's work.  Thank you for suggesting a higher resolution; I will remember to do that should we ever get our scanner to work.  ;)  Thank you, Wiggy.    Lisa  :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 April 18 06:39 BST (UK) »
Forgot to attach.   ::)

Update:  it is too large to attach.  Will try again.
--------------------
I am going to try to attach the photo but it may be very small.  If it is small, I will not pursue a clean-up.  I am looking through the photo album now, checking to see if any names were written anywhere.  I am using tweezers to pull the photos out of their slots.  So far I've not found any clues as to who the people were but I do believe they were my mother-in-law's father's family.  Perhaps I may find a "better" photo for a clean-up.