Author Topic: Timmons and Wright Connection?  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Kate Timmons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Timmons and Wright Connection?
« on: Friday 20 April 18 03:18 BST (UK) »
Through the YDNA testing it was discovered that in the direct line of the Timmons surname there is a connection with the surname Wright. This would have been around the late 1500's to early 1600's. Possibly even a little earlier from what the TIP says on the DNA information.

We have been able to figure out the the Wright ancestor was most likely in Staffordshire before he sailed to America and the event most likely took place there. I have very little information to go on so any information anyone might have regarding these two surnames in Staffordshire (even the surrounding area) would be helpful and something to go on. The Wright name I have is (Captain) George Wright b.abt 1615 England, died in Flushing, New York. It was through a ship record that the information for Staffordshire came from. I don't have any idea who the Timmons might have been. The surname may have been spelled Timmins. George Wright may have nothing to do with the link himself but maybe his father did.

Kate

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Timmons and Wright Connection?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 April 18 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hiya Kate

Welcome to RootsChat! its all a bit of a long shot this DNA testing - are they saying with certain that the Wright/Timmins marriage is in your line or could it have been the sibling of your direct line that married a Timmins? its all a bit shot in the dark making a connection

If George came from Staffordshire there is a possible baptism for him 5.11.1618 St Editha Tamworth Staffordshire parents Thomas and Dorothy. Thomas Wright married Dorothy Hill Jan 1617 at St Editha

Possible baptism for Thomas 20.8.1592 father John at St Editha

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Kate Timmons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 April 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for contacting me. Yes it looks like there is a definite connection. Zak is from the Wright family. My understanding is that several of his direct male Wright family members did the extensive YDNA test and somehow they all ended up as matches for our YDNA Timmons surname. It is possible for that to happen under certain circumstances. I'm actually dealing with one of those said circumstances on my husbands side. A female in his direct line had a son and gave said son her surname with no mention of who the father was.

Zak and a few others understand that DNA and what to look for etc...I really don't understand it at all.

Recently we had someone join our FB DNA Timmons group who's Timmins ancestors immigrated from Monaghan, Ireland, fairly recently, and that is also where many Wrights resided at one point in time. Many migrated from there to Scotland and England. I don't have a time in history but from what I gathered it would have been in the 1500's or so (maybe a little earlier) that they migrated from there. My Timmons line and others show a strong match around generation's 8-12 to his Wrights family members and a few other Wrights who tested. It's odd because if it was a common error I'd think many (1000's) of other unrelated surnames would have popped up as matches as well but the don't.

I really appreciate that information on George Wright and I will pass it on to Zak. My hope is to find a lead, maybe a marriage or source that shows Timmons and Wrights around the 1500's to early 1600's.

Thanks again =)

Kate

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 April 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
Not a problem I will keep my eyes open

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Kate Timmons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 April 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you :)

Offline jazdrv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 April 18 17:00 BST (UK) »
Kate and Willow,

Kate - you're very kind to post this query for me and our family group! :) :) :)

Willow - some background:

The Wrights we're talking about are the NY Flushing Wrights. R-M269#9 in the FTDNA Wright project.
https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/wright/about/background
https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Wright?iframe=ycolorized

The Timmons/Timmins we're talking about are the R-M269#1 group in the FTDNA Timmons project.
https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/timmons/about
https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Timmons?iframe=ycolorized

The George Wright, Kate is talking about, I have an Ancestry profile for here:

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/67935280/person/260083182179/facts

Some quick vitals:
born abt 1615 England (it's believed)
died abt 1684 Flushing, Queens, New York

It's believed he arrived in Salem, MA somewhere around 1635-1637. He became a "freeman" in Salem in 1637. Also granted land. In 1641, he joined the First Church of Salem.

He bumped around a lot. We see him in Rhode Island and other parts of Massachusetts. He operated a ferry. We then see him settling down by 1657 in Flushing, NY -- because we see him that year as one of the signers of the Flushing Remonstrance.

http://www.nyym.org/flushing/remons.html

Anyway, yes ... it's been determined that the NY Flushing Wrights and a large family of Timmons testers that came into Worcester, MD by 1682 are the same Y-DNA family group (as determined by STR markers Y37, Y67, Y111 -- a distant relation), and therefore have the same common paternal side ancestry -- likely back in England.  Prior (or just prior) to George Wright's generation, almost certainly.

It's looking like the Timmons line might be the true line going further back. The best clues we have so far are some UK Timmins testers ... one of whom claims *Timmins* ancestry going back to 1500's Staffordshire pretty continually to the late 1800's.

So yes, the idea that there was a George Wright born in Staffordshire around 1618. That's extremely interesting! :)

Where can I find that source?

Zak Jones
Volunteer admin - FTDNA Wright project (ftdna.wright@gmail.com)
Volunteer admin - FTDNA Timmons project (ftdna.timmons@gmail.com)
Facebook group - Wright Genealogy - https://www.facebook.com/groups/WrightSurnameFTDNA/
Facebook group - Timmons Genealogy - https://www.facebook.com/groups/TimmonsSurnameFTDNA/

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 April 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi the baptism was on Find My Past but it also pops up on Familysearch

Willow x

Offline Kate Timmons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 April 18 17:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Willow. We are really trying to find this connection and realize it will be a difficult task. Appreciate that you will keep an eye out for any information  :)

Offline jazdrv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 April 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hmm,

So hmm, that would be this church then:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_St_Editha,_Tamworth

A very good tip! I need to check with Timmins Guild of One Name Studies Admin (Tony Timmins) and see if has any ideas about this church...

Thank you Kate! Thank you Willow!

Zak