Author Topic: James Graham mariner from Ballyshannon, County of Donegal  (Read 898 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
James Graham mariner from Ballyshannon, County of Donegal
« on: Friday 20 April 18 08:20 BST (UK) »
No experience with Irish research.

Looking for possible baptism of a mariner called James Graham of Parish of Ballyshannon, County of Donegal.

He married Elizabeth Powell of Rosemarket, Wales 30 Apr 1796. Witnesses Michael Barnet (most likely a parish worker) and William Davies.

Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Graham mariner from Ballyshannon, County of Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 April 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
marriage mentioned on family search and find my past

http://www.findmypast.co.uk

http://www.familysearch.org
family search takes you to find my past were their is a copy of the Bans

are you RC or church of Ireland?

I was born in Ballyshannon but brought up in England but never been back to Ballyshannon, you could try writing to a local paper they might put your letter in their paper.

if you go through google and type in the search box - Growing up in Ballyshannon

in 1846 a Arthur Graham was a Black and Whitesmith in Ballyshannon

do you not have any other names like a town land or street?

St Joseph Church the Rock Ballyshannon, RC.  Because of fraud they don't seem to give information out like they used to do.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Graham mariner from Ballyshannon, County of Donegal
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 April 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you, findmypast was where I found the marriage. I also found another possible later marriage for one Elizabeth Powell in Rosemarket; so the mariner James Graham may have died. No evidence of children.
Married in Rosemarket,  and baptised in Rosemarket, I suspect that the family Elizabeth Powell would have beenChurch of England.

Some of her sisters seem to have moved to Pembroke (Docks), which was not far from Rosemarket.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End