Author Topic: Father of Mary Langton?  (Read 426 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Father of Mary Langton?
« on: Friday 20 April 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have a bit of confusion here over the father of Mary Langton.
She marries John Follows May 1763 Croft, Leicestershire.
On the marriage license she is listed as 20 years old and allowed to marry with the consent of her father 'Reed Thomas Langton'.
This puts Mary at born abt 1743.
The only record i can see is for a Mary Langton bapt 1740 Cosby, Leic. Daughter of Thomas Langton and Mary Ringrose.

I can find no record of a marriage prior to 1763 for a 'Reed Thomas Langton' although there is a baptism for him in 1716 Wigston, Leic. Son of William Langton Jr and Mary Read.
There is a marriage in 1764 Stoney Stanton for a Reed Thomas Langton to an Ann, but this doesn't list whether a widower or not and no other people by that name have been born.
There is a Will in 1771 for a 'Reed Thomas Langton of Croft' but no burial as far as i can see. An Ann is listed as a widow so i assume this is the same who married in 1764 as a Thomas Franks of Stoney Stanton was listed. I can see if there was an actual will listed as its just showing me the probate.

I thought he could have been the Thomas Langton who is marrying in Cosby 1733 and baptising there but this doesn't seem to be the case. As wife Mary seems to die either 1765 Cosby or 1804 Cosby and Thomas seems to die 1785 Cosby, listed as a Pauper.
I can find nothing else on a Reed Thomas Langton. No baptisms are listed with a father called Reed Langton or Thomas, Apart from the ones in Cosby but I think I have deduced that this couple is not my Mary's parents.
Any help would be appreciated
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq