Author Topic: Jessie Frances Etherington born 5 Dec 1891 Tetbury, Gloucestershire  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Cleo3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Frances Etherington born 5 Dec 1891 Tetbury, Gloucestershire
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 April 18 22:27 BST (UK) »
Ah, sorry I thought you were talking about Jessie!

I'll see what information is on her birth certificate and then have another look at Esther/Hester's parents.

Thank you - all input is very gratefully received.

Offline Cleo3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Frances Etherington born 15 Oct 1889 Tetbury, Gloucestershire
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 April 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
I now have a copy of Jessie's birth registration which shows a dob of 15 October 1889 which matches that shown on the 1939 Register so all seems right.

The birth was registered in Kensington as suggested and it shows her being born at Kensington Infirmary.

She is named as Jessie daughter of Esther Garrett. domestic Servant of 23 Park Street with no father's name given  ;).

So - thanks to all your suggestions I now have confirmation of my grandmother's birth.  Now to check out the marriage of Fred Etherington to Esther Garrett to verify her father's name and occupation.

Having looked on the GRO site I was able to order a PDF of Jessie's birth certificate but when trying the same option for the marriage certificate it does not offer the PDF version as an option which is strange.

Does anyone know if there is likely to be an image or transcription of the marriage certificate online anywhere?  It took place in Windsor Sept Qtr 1893 their names being shown as Fred Etherington and Esther Jane Garrett.

Many thanks everyone!

Offline Cleo3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 April 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
Soooo .... I have Esther on the 1891 Census but where is Jessie I wonder?

Any ideas as I haven't managed to find her?  She would have been about 17 months old at that time.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 April 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
The £6 GRO pdf scheme only covers birth entries from 1837 - 1917 and death entries from 1837 - 1957

The marriage you are looking for is not online. The original parish registers for the district will have been deposited at Berkshire Record Office

http://www.berkshirerecordoffice.org.uk/family-history/parish-register-guide/

The page range for Windsor for that quarter is 823-873, the marriage you are looking for is 825, with no marriages online it is hard to suggest which parish church

There's a list of possible places here

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/windsor.html

you get a smaller list if you take out the subdistricts that were created qfter 1893.

If you can't visit the record office in person to check, or can't find an announcement in a newspaper, you may have to pay £9.25 for the cert
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Cleo3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 April 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that information - I'll have to bite the bullet and pay £9.25 for the marriage certificate then!