Author Topic: Found my Mum's only Brother that died.  (Read 1042 times)

Offline tmp48

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Found my Mum's only Brother that died.
« on: Friday 20 April 18 22:04 BST (UK) »
I always knew that my late Mum and her 4 sisters had a brother that died, but Mum couldn't recall his name.  She said he was born about 1922 or 1923.

I found the Death certificate details for GERARD STEPHEN  POLLARD  who died 24 Jul 1923 aged 9 mths Child of a Painter of 25 Charlemont St. Mother Emily Pollard was the informant.
My Grandfather James Fedalis Pollard was a Painter and Decorator and Granny's name was Emily.  Also Emily's father, Michael Patrick Brady Died at 25 Charlemont Street in 1927.

Well, the Birth Certificate proved  that Gerard was indeed my Mum and 4 sister's brother.  He was Born on 23 Oct 1922 at 12 Poolbeg Street, Dublin. Father James Pollard, Painter.  Mother Emily Brady.  Mum's youngest sister Maureen was born at the same address in 1924 too.

Such a shame that Mum and her sisters had all passed away before I was able to find their only brother's details.

Without knowing his name and the Irish Civil Registers being on line, when I found his Death Certificate details, I would never have found him. 

Thank you to all the wonderful people who have had the task of placing these documents on line.
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Teresa
BRADY...Dublin
CONBOY...Roscommon
CURRY....Dublin
DEVINE...Dublin
McDermott...Dublin
ROONEY...Dublin
POLLARD...Dublin
QUIGLEY...Dublin
LAWLESS...Dublin
SLADE...Dorset
DAVIS...Bristol & Somerset
PERRIS...Somerset
BOARD...Somerset

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Found my Mum's only Brother that died.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 April 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
That's lovely, if sad.
I get a great sense of bringing a person back into the family when I find an infant that was lost to memory.
I found an uncle of my mother's she never knew existed, her father never mentioned him which seemed odd until we realized he never met his little brother he was in the Army at the time and was in South Africa when his brother lived his short life.

and yes I echo your appreciation of the people who put the records online

Offline tmp48

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 April 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
Mum was the 2nd born child so the younger ones wouldn't have known about him and I know most of my cousins never knew that they had an uncle that died as an infant. 

It doesn't help that the Mother's Maiden Name is not on the Irish Birth Registrations until much later.

I'm just delighted to have been able to put his name on my family tree at last and complete my Grandparents family.

One of my Dad's sisters had a son who died as a baby too in Bristol,  but as the Birth Register's have the mother's maiden name it was easy to find his Birth and Death registration.
BRADY...Dublin
CONBOY...Roscommon
CURRY....Dublin
DEVINE...Dublin
McDermott...Dublin
ROONEY...Dublin
POLLARD...Dublin
QUIGLEY...Dublin
LAWLESS...Dublin
SLADE...Dorset
PERRIS...Somerset
BOARD...Somerset

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 April 18 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Teresa
             I see he is buried in Glasnevin as Ge(rr)ard Pollard age 9mts, if this is the infants plot you can get his name inscribed on one of the tablets surrounding the plot sorry i dont know the cost but it is available to you.
Many years ago 1970s my eldest sister in law told me she had another sibling stillborn 1940s they named him Francis so i searched the Glasnevin index about 10 years ago but could not find him,i eventually found him as stillborn,for the life of me i cant remember how i got stillborn to come up on the index i think it comes up as s/b but i cant get that up now.
Last year my sister in law had Francis's name inscribed on one of the tablets.

Dathai
https://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/results/index.xml

Fee's 2016
https://www.glasnevintrust.ie/funeral-services/downloads/Glasnevin-Display-Pricelists.pdf

Offline tmp48

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 April 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Dathai.  Much appreciated.
BRADY...Dublin
CONBOY...Roscommon
CURRY....Dublin
DEVINE...Dublin
McDermott...Dublin
ROONEY...Dublin
POLLARD...Dublin
QUIGLEY...Dublin
LAWLESS...Dublin
SLADE...Dorset
PERRIS...Somerset
BOARD...Somerset

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 April 18 13:37 BST (UK) »
That is lovely it means he is in your tree and now known to all in the future and not a forgotten person.

I started researching after my father died and he always claimed he didn't know his mothers name as she died when he was 4yrs old. I now realise he did know, must have as all he needed to do was look on his birth cert ( but at that time I didn't think of that)
So when I eventually found her and all about her, it was with a mixture of happiness and sadness.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 April 18 13:51 BST (UK) »
Yes I agree with what has been said on this thread. From the 1911 census, I knew that my grandmother, who died when my dad was 6, had 3 siblings who had died before 1911. I found two on the online parish register, but never would have found the last one without the bmd certs coming on line. I didnt have any details about him/her. Turns out she was a baby who lived for one hour named Agnes. I was so happy to find her at last. Forgotten no longer.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 April 18 14:23 BST (UK) »
My mum was 2nd youngest in her family, but she knew she'd had a brother who'd died soon after birth, and a sister who'd died at 18 months, in fact being the 2nd youngest meant, that although she didn't know her grandparents, her elder siblings did, so she knew all about them and passed on the information to me in turn.

On the other hand, whilst researching my husband's history I found that his mother had a brother that no-one had mentioned.  I knew his mother's 2 sisters and met them fairly often.  We asked my husband's half brother who was 11 years older than my husband if he had ever heard of this man, but he knew nothing about him either.  All very strange as this man didn't die until 1965, 3 years after we were married and when my husband's half brother would have been 33.  I still can't find out why he was estranged from his sisters.  My husband remembers going round to visit all his relatives on a Sunday, lunch with an aunt, afternoon tea with a cousin etc. and the eventually winding up at a terraced house somewhere.  He had to stay in the car whilst his parents went to visit whoever lived in the house.  All he knows is that a man always opened the door - was this the missing uncle?  We'll never found out unless I can trace his children (if they are still alive) or grandchildren and see if they knew anything about a family rift.