Author Topic: Who is Sarah Ann Britton  (Read 1722 times)

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who is Sarah Ann Britton
« on: Saturday 21 April 18 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, hoping someone can help with an answer. I have been researching James Britton , born in England 1813 and transported to Van Diemens Land in 1830 for life. James did not see his freedom until 1842. From the records I have found James married Sarah Jane Cork in 1840 , Oatlands Tasmania and they started a family in 1843 after James received his pardon. My question is this, on a birth record for their daughter born 1856, the person who registered the birth was Sara Anne Britton ( sister, Oatlands ) and I believe she married a John Thomas the following year aged 20. If this is true she was born 1837. I have found her in a couple of site and her parents are given as James Britton and Sarah Jane Cork. Sarah was only 15 when she arrived in VDL in 1836 as a female immigrant. If Sarah Anne is their daughter, is there a chance it wasn't recorded because of James's convict status, Sarah's age and the fact that they weren't married?
Cheers
Craig

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Who is Sarah Ann Britton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 April 18 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Craig,
where did your Britton originate?
I have a Britton in my Gilbert Tree who had roots in Somerset and Gloucestershire around Bristol.

Cheers
Jack Gee
GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,GRAHAM,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,BRITTON,HARVEY,ALLEN

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 April 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
Just in case you don't have these ....

Here is marriage announcement for Sarah Ann BRITTON, eldest daughter of Mr James Britton of St Peter's pass, Oatlands to John THOMAS in 1857 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3245384

And here is death notice for Sarah Ann THOMAS, wife of John THOMAS in 1903
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12268728

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 April 18 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack, my James Britton originated St Georges, East London to the best of my knowledge, he was tried in Warwickshire 27 March 1830 and arrived In Hobart, Tasmania 7 November 1830 on board the PERSIAN.
Thanks also Ros , I did not have the marriage announcement and it is correct because he was living at St Peters Pass at the time. I had not seen the death announcement either.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 April 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Craig, doesn't look like any connection.
Good luck with your genie journey.
Tassie is usually a good place to go hunting for records..
cheers
Jack
GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,GRAHAM,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,BRITTON,HARVEY,ALLEN

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 April 18 13:17 BST (UK) »
A short obit for Mrs John THOMAS http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article232737796

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 April 18 13:52 BST (UK) »
..... is there a chance it wasn't recorded because of James's convict status, Sarah's age and the fact that they weren't married?

No.  Many events were not recorded regardless of who you were.  Civil registration started in 1838 in Tasmania and prior to that there are only church records so you would be relying on the child being baptised.  If Sarah Ann was born 3 years prior to the marriage there is a chance that James BRITTON was not her father.

When the census was taken in Jan 1842 and Jan 1843 James had one female child under the age of two years in the household.  By 1848 he had one female child under two years and three female children aged between 2 and 7.

Debra  :)

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 April 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
When the census was taken in Jan 1842 and Jan 1843 James had one female child under the age of two years in the household.  By 1848 he had one female child under two years and three female children aged between 2 and 7.

This fits well with the age of about 62 in the 1903 death notice for Sarah Ann found by rosball

M

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 April 18 14:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think she was younger than 20 when she married in 1857.

Debra  :)