Author Topic: Who is Sarah Ann Britton  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who is Sarah Ann Britton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 April 18 14:36 BST (UK) »
Louisa was the sixth daughter....

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/51404222

So the girls were approximately...

Sarah Ann c1841
Emma  1843
Mary Ann c1845
Ellen  1847 (died 1853)
Alice  1850
Ellen  1854
Louisa  1856

Debra  :)

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 April 18 21:23 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately there's no Church of England baptism register to check, the archives note that the register for the period '...was removed from the church in 1933 and presumably destroyed'

M

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 April 18 00:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for their assistance , another puzzle solved in my ever growing tree
Cheers
Craig

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 April 18 02:08 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately there's no Church of England baptism register to check, the archives note that the register for the period '...was removed from the church in 1933 and presumably destroyed'

M

Umm .... the C of E regulations actually forbid the destruction of these registers.  Also, C of
E used two or more registers, so there should be the back up register.  The regulations required the two then current registers to be kept separate and both in fireproof safety.   It might be worthwhile contacting the Diocese offices to enquire about the registers.   For example, clergy kept one register at 'home' and another in the saddle bag when travelling on a circuit in the 19th Century.  One was written up 'as it happened' and the other, written up once 'back home'.   There was a third and backup, as the clergy were required to transmit the details to their ''head-offices.    So, it is possible for C of E records to be found in several registers for the one event.  NSW BDM online index for example includes FIVE different reference numbers (each from a different register) for the baptism of one of my female ancestors in the 1830s.    The civil admin authorities ought to have been following the civil admin regulations from Macquarie's time, if so there should have been info forwarded to the VDL Supreme Court's registrar, although many many clergy did not follow this 'practice' as the civil authorities did not make any funding provisions for the clergy's expenses to cover this.

CORK ... could be mis-read by the 20th century indexers .... COOK,  CORE, CARK, CANE,  and many other examples.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 April 18 03:36 BST (UK) »
^Thanks majm, I'll follow up on this.

M