Author Topic: Donald Cameron born 1710 to America in 1775  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Virgil143

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald Cameron born 1710 to America in 1775
« on: Saturday 21 April 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
I have been working on my family tree for many years and have it well traced to a Donald Cameron who came to the port of Philadelphia in America in 1775. He listed his age as 65 so he would have been born around 1710. He brought 2 sons with him, John Cameron (born 1741) and Simon Cameron (born 1746). One or both of these sons could have been married to McKenzie (MacKenzie) sisters. The family listed their former residence as Beauly and their occupation as farmers. Simon (born 1746) brought with him a 5 yr old son named Charles who would become the father of Abraham Lincoln's Sec. of War; Simon Cameron (born 1799 in Pennsylvania. I'm wondering if their are any CAMERONS in the area who COULD BE related. I would love to hear from you!!

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Cameron born 1710 to America in 1775
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 April 18 12:06 BST (UK) »

I suspect the dates and ages you have are from the ships manifest these may not be accurate. The only family to match the information you have may be the ones below. Information is on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk a low cost pay to view site, you can download the original records.

Children of DONALD CAMERON born Kilmorack, Inverness-shire

John 6 Oct 1717, Margaret 5 Apr 1722, Donald 9 Apr 1727, Simon 13 Sep 1735

My guess is that Donald Cameron was baptised in Auldearn 9 April 1692, as this seem to be the most likely option, he probably married Jannet Gordon 6 June 1717 in Forres.

It looks likely that Charles that you mentioned was the son of JOHN CAMERON & JANET MACKENZIE he was baptised 16 Sep 1766 Inverness.

No marriage record for Simon in Scotland. Donald junior probably married Anna McLennan 10 Dec 1761 in Kilmorack. Several possible marriages for Margaret.

Regards

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Virgil143

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 April 18 15:13 BST (UK) »
Colin,
Thanks for your response to my post. I feel the dates you give are too far off of what family records show as birth/death dates but again, thank you for your efforts. I have searched ScotlandPeople and did find a Donald, born in 1710 that may fit.

regards
Virgil

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 April 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Virgil, thanks for your reply. 
Have you found the records for John 1741 & Simon 1746?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.