Author Topic: Buying certificates from SP  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Buying certificates from SP
« on: Saturday 21 April 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was looking to buy my Nan’s birth certificate but I have a question. 

There are 2 records, is it possible that they are both the same person?  My family name is very rare and every other person with the surname has fitted into my family tree.  I guess one of my gt grandfathers siblings could have had a daughter the same year and given them the same first name but I have never seen any evidence of that.  One of the records is listed as ‘queensferry’ and the second as ‘George’s square’ are either of these locations closer to the gorbals area of Glasgow?

Thanks for any help

H x

Gedmatch kit number: A783595
Linkston, linkstone, Linkson (Scotland)
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)
Mekzsraites (Russia/ Lithuania, changed to Marshall when immigrants to Scotland)
Stevenson (Ireland / Scotland)
Fadian, English, Vesey, Gielty, Gallagher, Masterson (Achill, Co Mayo.)

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Buying certificates from SP
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 April 18 17:35 BST (UK) »
Looks like she was born at the Royal Maternity Hospital or Simpsons (depending on date) in Edinburgh  and then registred in the district, Queensferry, where the parents were living.

Eric

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 April 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
Just been checking to make sure I was correct. The procedure was that the child was registred in the district where it was born and a copy of the entry was to be sent to the registrar of the district in which the father lived in the case of legitimate births or the mother for illigitimate births to be entered in his/her register.

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 April 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much! So do you think I should order the queensferry certificate?  I guess that means the surprise marriage must be my Nan as well if there is not another lady with the same name 😱 I could not find a divorce record for that marriage and the gentleman in question died after my Nan, I hope she wasn’t a bigamist 😱

H x
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)
Mekzsraites (Russia/ Lithuania, changed to Marshall when immigrants to Scotland)

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 April 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
Both should be identical with the Queensferry one having something like " date transcribed at Queensferry registrars name" added in the registration column. I would go for the George Square one as it is the original as an error could happen with the transcription.

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 April 18 18:19 BST (UK) »
Good point, thanks 😀
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 April 18 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was looking to buy my Nan’s birth certificate but I have a question. 

There are 2 records, is it possible that they are both the same person?  My family name is very rare and every other person with the surname has fitted into my family tree.  I guess one of my gt grandfathers siblings could have had a daughter the same year and given them the same first name but I have never seen any evidence of that.  One of the records is listed as ‘queensferry’ and the second as ‘George’s square’ are either of these locations closer to the gorbals area of Glasgow?

Thanks for any help

H x

Neither of the locations is near Glasgow at all - both are on the opposite side of the country on the east.
Second point is that unless the records fall outside the privacy dates for Scotland's people there is no need to purchase the certificates as the online information is what you would recieve - Ordering a certificate for information available online simply provides a registered version of the same data.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 April 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
The Edinburgh Royal Maternity Hospital is now the Edinburgh City Hotel in Lauriston Place. Simpsons Maternity Pavilion was along at the Royal Infirmary.