Author Topic: Social class suggested by clothing - Levi Mark Cathedral Road, Cardiff  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Griffl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Social class suggested by clothing - Levi Mark Cathedral Road, Cardiff
« on: Saturday 21 April 18 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hello all.

What sort of social class would the clothing of these children suggest?

I had thought that this was my grt grt grandfather and date to the 1870s/80s. Although I’ve since come across evidence that goes against this. I’m trying to figure out if it could belong to a different branch of a family who had less money.

Would I be correct in suspecting that people would “smarten up” for a professional photograph, just as is done today?

PS. At the back of the boy on the left’s hair. Could that be a kippah?

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Social class suggested by clothing - Levi Mark Cathedral Road, Cardiff
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 April 18 13:29 BST (UK) »
Not qualified to answer your queries, Griffi, except to say that yes, people would have worn their Sunday best for photographs, much more so than we do today. And, it's very hard to tell whether it's hair or a kippah - maybe , maybe not.
Anyway, moved up the board a bit your post might attract an expert.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
I don't know anything about clothing fashions, Griffi but to me, the boy's clothes look to be of good quality and have a number of 'fashion features' (pleats, decorative trouser buttons, belt with double button). I have no idea how common these were.

I read on the internet that one of the occasions on which this type of photo may have taken was 'breeching': when a small boy was first dressed in breeches or trousers. The age at which this occurred seemed to be between 4 and 8. Poorer families tended towards a younger age (when a boy would start work) while wealthier families tended towards a later age. I seems that the 'right age' was a subject of wide debate.

A photo would sometimes include one the boy's elder siblings. It's just possible that the boy on the right had the photo taken for his 'breeching' together with his brother on the left.

I'd be interested to read comments by people who know more about this kind of thing than I do :)

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
I'm leaning towards the 1915-1920 era but the fact that it's a cabinet card has thrown me a bit although I know they were still in use I believe up to 1920.
Jim will have a better idea. It would be useful to see the back for clues.
I also think that the seated boy has a quiff at the front giving the appearance of a line that could be mistaken for Kippah.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 April 18 14:52 BST (UK) »
These are definitely middle class at least. They already have the air of confidence.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 April 18 15:18 BST (UK) »
I would agree with you there Regorian....they aren't Ag Lab kids  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 April 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
Not in this case Carol, but there were people who were natures gentlemen or ladies rather than societies.

My grandfather had eight brothers and one sister surviving to adulthood. Of those nine lines only 2 are now middle class and visibly so. The sister had very refined features.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Griffl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 April 18 16:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for the replies so far.

1915-1920 would be a shock, that’s quite late. I would hope that if it is actually that period then family could recognise the sitters.

Interesting re the “breeching” ceremony. Never heard of this, better get googling!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 April 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
Google Images, Knickerbocker Suits and see what you think.

Carol