Author Topic: Disabled people - Airbrushed out?  (Read 7271 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Disabled people - Airbrushed out?
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
In our family trees we note the occupation relationships of our forebears - we note where they lived where they moved to and describe the lives they lead.
 But the lives disabled people lived or the relationships they had with other family members are rarely chronicled.  The censuses label them e.g. as 'idiot, or 'imbecile' etc. and that is the end of their story.
Many lived long lives - sometimes in institutions - what was their daily life - where did they 'fit in?'

Too many are simply labelled and forgotten about - is that because they're not as interesting as the able-bodied relatives?

Interesting to whom?

Your questions are valid but to whom are they directed? Are you addressing societal attitudes of the past or the personal interest levels of today's genealogy buffs?

Surely you are not suggesting that Rootschatters are not interested in ancestors or relatives who had disabilities?

Even if you have spent very little time perusing the threads here, you cannot have missed the fact that most of us are practically obsessed over the tiniest detail we can scrounge on our ancestors and their relatives.

I think it's safe to say that, when genealogy keeners like us come across information about illness or disability, it expands not only our knowledge of those individuals but also our empathy and understanding of what life might have been like for them and their family members.

One of my ancestors was "quite deaf" but I only learned of it when I purchased copies of court documents related to charges that were made against him. First, we knew nothing of the criminal charges or the time he spent in prison and, second, we had no knowledge of his deafness. I was astounded and fascinated. What was the first thing I did? I researched the prisons where I knew he stayed. The second? I researched education for the deaf in his country and lifetime.

As others have noted, it is hard to find those details. We could blame it on attitudes that people held about disabilities and differences in years past or we could blame the fact that the record sources that are available to us now simply weren't intended for that purpose.

This is true even for today, I think. Using myself as an example, I had a couple of birth defects and also have more than one chronic health condition, but none of those will cause or contribute to my death. Unless I record it somewhere, and that information is preserved by family, how will the descendants of my niece and nephew ever learn of it? And if they don't, will it be because they just don't care, or because they have no way of knowing?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 17 February 19 08:35 GMT (UK) »
My family tree includes my parents and my father's brothers. One brother had a wooden leg but it did not stop him from having a full life. He was the only brother who owned and drove a motor car inspite of his wooden leg. He was certainly on the 1911 census but he had 2 legs then.
Should I mention his wooden leg on my family tree as I forgot he had one. Is this important?

Andy_T
Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 17 February 19 10:05 GMT (UK) »
I think this thread ran its natural course a year ago, especially as the original poster never came back to explain what was in his/her mind.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 17 February 19 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I would say yes.  I like knowing details about people .  I think it gives a fuller picture and helps us imagine what life might have been like for them.

For instance, in your case your ancestor sounds quite admirable in that he was someone who could overcome the challenges of living a full life with a wooden leg. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 17 February 19 11:26 GMT (UK) »
My family tree includes my parents and my father's brothers. One brother had a wooden leg but it did not stop him from having a full life. He was the only brother who owned and drove a motor car inspite of his wooden leg. He was certainly on the 1911 census but he had 2 legs then.
Should I mention his wooden leg on my family tree as I forgot he had one. Is this important?

Andy_T

I would certainly record it, Andy. We record change of residence, or job, or promotion, or the hundreds of other minor occurrences in a person's life - why not the loss of a limb? I have recorded when I first needed glasses. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 17 February 19 23:42 GMT (UK) »
I agree. I note where an ancestor or relative has lost a limb, or similar. My own cousin lost an eye as a boy from a slingshot, and had a glass eye. I've noted it , as well as the fact he still did National Service, and also called the bingo at the local football club. These things add a bit of colour to an otherwise dry narrative in my opinion.
It could explain why we can't find marriages for older ancestors; perhaps they had some kind of disability or handicap.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 18 February 19 01:05 GMT (UK) »

Andy_T

I can associate myself with that.  Back in 1999 I received a government form to fill in that asked how many people with disabilities we employed.  I felt really guilty because we didn't have any on our books. As I filled in each section I realised I'd forgotten Tonly only had one thumb and one finger on one hand (others cut off when he was a teenager in a mill accident) and I'd also forgotten that our storeman who climbed up and down step ladders had a hinged artificial leg.  I'd also forgotten that we'd removed a door and door jambs so that the part time middle aged accounts chap could get through the doorway with his wheelchair.  All of them drove cars too.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Brickwall Demolisher

• RootsChat Member
  • Becoming possibly more extinct each day.?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 23 February 19 09:41 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor, who on one Census is entered as being dumb. I have three censuses on this ancestor and this is entered on the middle one of the three only. Which has seemed to be a bit of an oddity to me being on just the one?? I have it marked down in my jobs to do column for sometime now. I hopefully someday will get around to. Regards JUST J
Maycock LAMBETH 1700-1960's
Burcham NORFOLK ??/LAMBETH 1700 - 1960's
Wentzell CRIPPLEGATE/SOUTHWARK 1700-1960's
Sadler CAMBERWELL / LEWISHAM 1700 - 1960's
Elliott WALWORTH / 1700 -1960's
Lepine FRANCE/KENT/WALWORTH/1550's-1950's
Barnes DORSET / WALWORTH
Roberts GLAMORGAN,WALES

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 25 February 19 17:18 GMT (UK) »
One of my prized possessions is a photo of my great-great grand uncle who had some form of learning disability. I honestly didn't expect to find a photo of him so was very glad to receive one. I had the privilege of speaking to a man who knew him and made sure to preserve all the stories he had about him so that he wouldn't be forgotten.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire