Author Topic: William and Alice Byway, parents of Thomas, Stoke Goldington, Independent Church  (Read 2172 times)

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William and Alice Byway, parents of Thomas, Stoke Goldington, Independent Church
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 06:14 BST (UK) »
Given that the witnesses at Thomas' wedding to Rachel were Catherine West and Thomas Barfoot there may be a connection.
Do you have a publicly available source, or did you find this by other means?
I got the info from FindMyPast.
Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Re: William and Alice Byway, parents of Thomas, Stoke Goldington, Independent Church
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 09:52 BST (UK) »
Oh, thanks for that, Peter. I don't have access to those records at the moment.

I have just returned to this and am continuing to build up my notes, and once I have worked out the most likely candidates, I think I'll order some records from the Bucks FHS, which might offer further clues. In the meantime I'll make a note of those names.

It's possible that William married Mary first and then Alice, I suppose, but I need to explore this a bit further to see if I can dig up anything else. (There's also a William B. of Shenley who marries Elizabeth Sutton but I don't think there's a Thomas born to them.)

One thing I have just been following up on, and can now answer my own question about, is that the Great Meeting Independent is definitely what has now morphed into the United Reformed Church in Newport Pagnell. (A bit of history here: http://www.urcnewportpagnell.org/page17.html.) Thomas Byway's baptism record is signed by Thomas Palmer Bull, son of William Bull. So that is one small mystery solved.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Just to return to this for the interest of everyone who helped...

Having spent far too many hours on it, I still only have a likely scenario, but obtained a few more hints from various records from Bucks FHS and also found volumes of transcribed of Beds. parish records, Cranfield here: https://archive.org/details/bedfordshirepari27bedf

William Byway was possibly born 1755 in Bow Brickhill or North Crawley - the only possible records in Bucks. And I think he probably did first marry Mary Barfoot in SG in 1790 and have daughter Elizabeth in 1791. I got all excited when I saw on an FindMyPast header record that a Mary Byway was buried in Cranfield in 1797 (which would have led nicely to William marrying Alice Odell in August of the same year), but Bedford parish transcript above shows a Mary w. of Thomas Byway (labourer) dying in that year, the same year as their son dies, so that can't be Mary Barfoot. :-(

However, the William who marries Alice in Cranfield is a widower, so there's a good chance it's the same one who married Mary B, lacking any other records contradicting this. I've traced Alice Odell's parents, and also found that Alice Byway remarries in SG after William's death, to a William Parkins, and there's a Thomas Chapman who is a witness at William's marriage to Mary Barfoot as well as Alice's marriage to Wm Parkins.

So unless I come across any contradictory evidence, I am going to stick to this story. It's a shame I can't find a definite death record for first wife Mary Byway, and it would be interesting to find how the Thomas and Mary Byway couple in Cranfield are connected to the Bucks lot, but this is as far as I'm going with this one.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Can anyone see the record from Bucks Burials (I can see the header on FindMyPast but nothing else) for William Byway who died in SG in 1808?

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Lucymags,
The entry contains the following info and is taken from the BTs not the original register
Burial date    ? Jan 1808
Relative's relationship    Husband of Alice Byway

HTH
Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Ah, great, thanks Peter. That confirms that he was Alice's husband, so that gives some certainty to this record.  :)

And possibly adds weight to the 1755 BB birth, although at this point have no way of knowing for sure. The 1755 William seems to match this marriage (from Bucks FHS):
15 Nov William 1778 William X BYWAY, bachelor of Bow Brickhill - Elizabeth X LAMBLEY, spinster of this parish
Witnesses: Thos Pettit, John Goodman. Banns

It's even possible that he had 3 marriages... but I can't see a death for an appropriate Elizabeth, at least on FS. (And the only births for parents William and Elizabeth are at Shenley, and seem to all have the surname "Byways".) I'll follow up this line at some point later when I have more time.