Author Topic: Merchant Navy records?  (Read 665 times)

Offline SuperFuzz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Merchant Navy records?
« on: Sunday 22 April 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor who worked in the merchant navy from about 1901 - 1936, he died in 1936 in Nigeria of Malaria. I have his death certificate from abroad, and have been able to find the names of a few ships he was on, and a few destinations he visited. I read one of the stickies in this sub-forum, and I wondered if any further records exist for him, and if so; how could I go about applying for them? He stayed in the merchant navy right up until he died. I wondered if there would be any WW1 documentation or maybe some kind of record with a photo? Thanks if you can help.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy records?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 April 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
What is his name and when/where was he born
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SuperFuzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 April 18 11:19 BST (UK) »
His name was Charles Thomas Page, born about 1883 in Liverpool. He worked many years as a ship's cook, but I think I found him on some kind of postal ship when he was very young.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 April 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
No Central Merchant Navy personal records were kept between 1857 and 1913. Records for the period of WW1 have been destroyed.
MN personal records 1918-1941 are available on Find my Past. If your man has records 1918-1921, these should contain a photograph. Ships sailed on are usually identified by the ships official number, These can be translated into ships name here.

http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsnum

Be aware that many of these records have been lost or destroyed. If you have no joy with FindMyPast come back to us. There are other means of finding out about his seagoing career.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline SuperFuzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 April 18 15:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I found two records on FindMyPast before: one seems to have a discharge number, and the number of a ship. Another, a series of dates recorded on it, no photo sadly!