Author Topic: Crewe Cemetary  (Read 1875 times)

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crewe Cemetary
« on: Sunday 22 April 18 11:00 BST (UK) »
I had lots of help from Rootschatters on establishing that the Withoff family had a grave in Crewe Cemetary.

Who do I contact regarding finding the plot number so I can find the gravestone (if it still exists). I happened to be in Crewe a couple of months ago (due to work), and had an hour free which I happily spent looking around the cemetery. But without a plot number/guide it was a bit futile and completely fruitless!!

Please advise me.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Crewe Cemetary
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 April 18 11:49 BST (UK) »
Crewe Cemetery records are on Deceased Online, though the site is undergoing maintenance this weekend, so might not be fully available.

Most (all?) cemeteries listed there have their registers online, and details of other occupants of the same grave. Some have photos of the memorials as well, but I think you might have to pay more for these. I haven't checked what's available for Crewe - assuming that would even be possible today.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 April 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
Information from D.O. for the Withoff family already posted on this thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=789879.

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 April 18 14:19 BST (UK) »
Crewe has the grave registers as the main document. The index for a person leads you to the entry for the grave showing all those buried in that plot.

References to other registers may appear on the entry for the plot. Those other registers are not on Deceased Online but the existence of such a reference will tell you whether a headstone is / was on the grave and whether the family purchased the right of burial in that plot.

Death dates are not in the grave registers, only interment dates.

Small maps exist at the entrance and the office may still have them. The grave register will tell you the section and plot number but it may be challenging trying to find that plot as older stones may not have a visible plot number. The direction of numbering is not always consistent - I've stepped out n plots from a known plot and failed to find the stone that I wanted. Only later did I realise that row was numbered oppositely to my expectation so that I was going in the wrong direction.

If you can't find the plot, smile and talk to the staff in the office, who do have massive ledgers and maps to work with. So don't go at the wrong time!

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 April 18 14:23 BST (UK) »
NB - don't confuse Crewe Municipal Cemetery with Coppenhall Cemetery and the graveyard for St Michael, Coppenhall. The last 2 are adjacent and both are virtually opposite the Municipal Cemetery.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 April 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
Information and contact details for Crewe Cemetery here:
http://www.orbitas.co.uk/cemeteries/crewe-cemetery/crewe-cemetery.aspx

Details for Coppenhall here (but no contact info - probably administered from the main Crewe office):
http://www.orbitas.co.uk/cemeteries/coppenhall-cemetery.aspx
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 April 18 12:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help and clarification. I now know that the grave is in Crewe Cemetery, contains four interments (Withoff and Gebhardt), had a stone erected on it, and is at plot B/391.

Next time I visit Crewe (if I ever do) I'll look out for the maps at the entrance (I didn't spot those last time) and I'll have a better chance of finding the memorial.

Great job, and thanks again.

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 April 18 12:45 BST (UK) »
There's certainly a board with a map by the Market St entrance (SE corner).

Looking at my map, it looks a bit complex - B391 could be in 2 sections - B358-410 are in one section, while Bog (for B-Old-Graves) 2-480 -700 are another, adjacent section. And no, I have no idea what that second section contains, as it seem to overlap.

I suspect that the paths that divide sections are later than the original graves, resulting in some row number sequences being split.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 April 18 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking out your map, AdrianB38. I came in from Badgers Avenue and only remember seeing a board with general notices on it.