Author Topic: My Heritage  (Read 886 times)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
My Heritage
« on: Sunday 22 April 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi :)

I am a long-term paid 'Ancestry' member and I have free 'Find My Past' membership but pay to get full membership from time to time.

I have just re-joined 'My Heritage' at a special price. I thought that it might be worthwhile as I have been told that they have lots of records not available elsewhere.

I see that they have the 1939 Register, but could anyone tell me, please, what else I should be looking for on 'My Heritage' that I wouldn't be able to find on 'Ancestry'? When I joined before I  just wasted my opportunities and I want to make the most of my membership,. :)

Thank you :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: My Heritage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 April 18 16:02 BST (UK) »
My Heritage just have 1939 transcripts not the originals.  Guys post here gives a link to their blog
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=789185.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 April 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
One of my distant links is on the 1939, with her surname and subsequent married name mangled beyond recognition by FindMyPast.  The actual image is quite legible.

MyHeritage (free search) has the same double error which tells me that they've simply bought the transcripts.  Bearing in mind the security measures attached to FindMyPast's transcription project, I'd have been surprised if The National Archives allowed anyone else access to the original books.

Also MH are embellishing their search results with relationships (parents, sister, brother etc).  No such details were given in the Register.

Personally I wouldn't give them tuppence for this 'product'.  At least FindMyPast didn't invent stuff.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 April 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
Oh dear. I wasn't impressed first time around. I hope I haven't wasted my money. At least it was a reduced fee. :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck