Author Topic: DUFFIELD, Mary Jane, nee LEWIS b1860 d 1922 MN, USA.  (Read 1627 times)

Offline FL59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DUFFIELD, Mary Jane, nee LEWIS b1860 d 1922 MN, USA.
« on: Sunday 22 April 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
DUFFIELD, nee LEWIS.
===================

My Great Grandfather,
Captain John Lewis
B 3 Jul 1864 Magheraknock, 1864
D 9 Jun 1933 Belfast, NI.
He married 9 Oct 1890 Lyle Hill Presbyterian Church, Templepatrick, Co Antrim.

He was the younger brother of

Mary Jane LEWIS
B 17 Sep1860 Magheraknock, Glassdrummond, Co Down.
D 13 Feb 1922 Garden City, Blue Earth Co, MN, USA.
She married 1878 Belfast
Robert James DUFFIELD aka  James Robert, son of John D.
B 18 Oct 1859 Ballynahinch, Co Down.
D 25 Jun 1938 Mankato, Blue Earth Co, MN.

Their daughter:
Annie Pearl DUFFIELD
B 18 April 1885 Garden City, Blue Earth Co, MN, USA.
D 4 Feb 1972 Little Falls, Morrison Co, MN.

Her granddaughter:
Marianne Kay Wheeler, nee SAUTER married to Walter Rand WHEELER.

I am keen to know details, photos and stories of any other children, grandchildren and great grandchildren of the above Mary Jane DUFFIELD, nee LEWIS.

In return, I'm happy to share family photo, stories and earlier LEWIS ancestry that I have acquired in my research to date.

Additionally, I'm looking for information on any other Lewis children born to Dorothea Blakeley and John Lewis between 1854 and 1868, including their son William Armstrong Lewis b 1859 d 1928 Dublin. Possibly his son John who moved back to Belfast in 1920s.

Any help much appreciated.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DUFFIELD, MARY JANE, NEE LEWIS B1860 D1922 MN, USA.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 April 18 17:19 BST (UK) »
There is a record on the 1900 US Federal census for this family showing seven children-4 daughters and three sons. 1882 Nellie, 1883 can't read the name, 1885 Annie Pearl-there is a photograph of her on one of the online trees, Lew J 1886, Earl 1891, Fannie F 1894 and Bert L 1897. There is also a family photograph on an online tree showing Robert and Mary with the first four children, and what looks like number five on the way.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 April 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sam.b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 April 18 20:10 BST (UK) »
Just in case you don't have this, here is some burial information on the "Duffield" family :
Surname(s)   Graveyard   Civil Parish   Graveyard Location   County
Duffield   Magheradrool CI   Magheradrool   Ballynahinch   Down
Gravestone Inscription   Erected by Thomas Duffield in loving memory of his daughter Susan, died 17th June 1899 aged 29, also his son Andrew who died 21st November 1899 aged 17, also the above named Thomas Duffield who died 26th April 1903, Sarah Ann Duffield who died 5th April 1908, Joseph Duffield who died 1st July 1913, James Duffield who died 4th Jafnuary 1933 and William Duffield who died 8th July 1948,
Comment   [Limestofne headstone]Administration of the estate of Philip Duffield, late of 92 Donegal Pass, Belfast Cyde [sic] agent who died 17th June 1899, granted at Dublin to Thomas Duffield of Ballykine, Co Down farmer, the father, Effects £351, resworn £163 10s 10d

Surname(s)   Graveyard   Civil Parish   Graveyard Location   County
DUFFIELD   Magheradrool   Magheradrool   Magheradrool   Down
Gravestone Inscription   This is Philip Duffield's buring ground, 1830.
Comment   [Low rough freestone]

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 April 18 20:13 BST (UK) »
The U.S. (where you've started the other topic) will be the place to get details of the family in America but different resources are available for Ireland (in general) and Northern Ireland & County Down (in particular).

It seems as though you might already have quite a bit of details on the family so please let us know what you already have so we don't waste time searching for the same details. Additional information will also make it easier to find new things that you have not found yet.

Here's an example-
Extract from Weekly Irish Times (Dublin), 24 Mar.1928: MR. WILLIAM A. LEWIS. We regret to announce the death of Mr. William Armstrong Lewis, who died at his residence, 62 ... road, Clontarf, ...

No way to tell from your post whether you've this death announcement or know his year of death from death certificate, gravestone, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline FL59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 April 18 20:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Sandra is helping me with the USA branch of the Lewis - Duffield family. 

Thomas Duffield was married to Mary Jane LEWIS' s cousin, Dorothea Blakely.  The same name as  Mary Jane's mother.

I'm familiar with PRONI WILLS CAL.

William Armstrong LEWIS is indeed the same older brother of Capt John and Mary Jane LEWIS.  I have his children's births, but not the death of his first wife Anna Margaret, or the marriage of his second wife, Mary Jennings, I don't have the marriages of any of their children, etc. William was a Buyer for a drapery co in Dublin, and later director.

I don't have any records of children born to Dorothea Blakely and John Lewis born between 1864 and 1866. I know of a girl who was born and died in 1867.

Thank you. It's very much appreciated.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 April 18 20:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Sandra is helping me with the USA branch of the Lewis - Duffield family. 

Thomas Duffield was married to Mary Jane LEWIS' s cousin, Dorothea Blakely.  The same name as  Mary Jane's mother.

William Armstrong LEWIS is indeed the same older brother of Capt John and Mary Jane LEWIS.  I have his children's births, but not the death of his first wife Anna Margaret, or the marriage of his second wife, Mary Jennings, I don't have the marriages of any of their children, etc. William was a Buyer for a drapery co in Dublin, and later director.

I don't have any records of children born to Dorothea Blakely and John Lewis born between 1864 and 1866. I know of a girl who was born and died in 1867.

Born where?  Dublin?  Belfast??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 April 18 20:49 BST (UK) »

Died where?  Dublin?  Belfast??

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 April 18 20:51 BST (UK) »

Who lived where?

Names?