Author Topic: WW1 78 sqd R.A.F please can any one help me find more records  (Read 695 times)

Offline jacky_d

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 78 sqd R.A.F please can any one help me find more records
« on: Sunday 22 April 18 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi im  desperately seeking more information about my Grandad service history if any one can help or indeed point me in the right direction Iv attached the only record which I can find I was always told he was in the army, however im not sure if he could have been in the army first then transferred to the RAF I have also been told that he lost one eye whilst serving hence my search I also would like to find a photograph of his regiment but just don't know where to start. A ( sorry I can not attach the record as its too large) This is the info on the document

Official Number.....105589.....Discharge 20/08/1918...R W of 121 (113940)
Departure Authority..49 wo/71    Unit from 78sqd  unit to which 78sqd RD   
Date of effect 21/06/1918      Arrival authority RDO 72
Transfered from 3* 8/01/1918    Transferred to RAF pte 2 1/04/1918

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 78 sqd R.A.F please can any one help me find more records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 April 18 19:38 BST (UK) »
He started in the army, joining on 27 Aug 1917.  His record doesn't say which regiment he was with then.  On 8 January 1918 he joined the Royal Flying Corps (still in the army).  The RFC (and the Royal Naval Air Service) became the RAF so from 1 April 1918 he was in the RAF.  78 Squadron was a Home Defence Squadron stationed (then) in Harrietsham Kent.  He was discharged on 20 August 1918.  His trade was batman (looked after officers).
The medical bit of his record is blank.  You should be able to cross check the dates above with the various entries on his record.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jacky_d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 April 18 20:01 BST (UK) »
wow thank you very much for your reply So does this mean I should be able to find some kind of army records for him and even perhaps a photo of his sqd Its all very confusing (well to me)
Many thanks 

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 April 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
There doesn't seem to be another record covering the period Aug 17 to Jan 18 (even under a variety of possible mis-spellings!). 
I left out one snippet - the record starts with him in 78 Squadron (then RFC and retained its number in the RAF).  The "RD" was a move to the RAF Depot (for the purist, that was the meaning in June 1918 when he moved) at Blandford, essentially in preparation for demob on August.
As far as photos are concerned - needle in haystack I'm afraid.  Maybe ask the RAF Museum if they have anything of 78 Squadron in the period January to June 1918 - very narrow window!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jacky_d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 April 18 20:47 BST (UK) »
 Id like to thank you at the very least I now have a starting date and you have confirmed he was in the Army 1st!   "possible mis-spellings" unfortunatly between missspelling and being born under a completely different name has made this record search incredibly difficult im not even quite sure how he managed to get into the Army when his birth name is completely different as to what is on his RAF record however the variants are endless, but i do know at this time he spoke very little English and could neither read or write. but thank you very much for your help.