Author Topic: Why were people given birth certificates?  (Read 7573 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Why were people given birth certificates?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 23 April 18 21:48 BST (UK) »
Funnily --

I was about to post a query regarding This subject.

Checking up on my Fred and wondering when he would have needed his BC as I just cannot find one for him at all.

So this is a great read for me.

thanks....   Sorry I cannot assist your post tho Martin

xin

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 00:13 BST (UK) »
The following thread on the Australia Resources & Offers includes a link to a newspaper announcement.  That announcement gives reasons for the New South Wales parliament instituting civil registrations for BDMs. 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=660501.0
NSW circa 1856 (civil BDMs start)

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/12977223 
Sydney Morning Herald 21 February 1856

“…. As every inhabitant of the colony may at some time or other be interested in knowing the precise time of some birth or death, and as a complete system of registration will prevent much litigation in future years, and otherwise protect individual rights of property; besides throwing light on many social questions as to duration of life, to the increase of statistical science and the general advantage of the inhabitants of New South Wales; it is of the utmost importance that they should be well acquainted with the nature and provisions of the Act of Legislative Council, 19 Vict., No. 34, under which the new Registration system has been formed ……”

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 07:18 BST (UK) »
Here is part of the discussion in Parliament prior to the introduction of civil registration in England & Wales.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eq5/

"REGISTER OF BIRTHS.
HC Deb 02 July 1834 vol 24 cc1073-80 1073
§ On the Motion of Lord John Russell the House went into a Committee on the Register of Births Bill.
§ Clause 1 and 2 were agreed to. On the 3rd Clause being read, Mr. Finch objected to proceeding with the Bill until explanation were given. He wished to know why the Dissenters could not establish a system of Registration without breaking up the system established by the Churchmen and without handing them over to the tax-gatherers.
The Attorney General
said, that a Registration of Births of Dissenters was necessary even to Churchmen and to all persons who had or who might be left property. Without a proper and legal registry of births, marriages, and deaths it would be in many cases, and in cases where members of the establishment, and of every sect might be concerned, very difficult to decide in a Court of Law to whom property belonged. In the course of his practice he had seen in Courts of Law forgeries and many other expedients resorted to to obtain property, all of which would have been prevented if there had existed a full registry of births, marriages, and deaths."

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 07:44 BST (UK) »

Considering the need that people would have for a birth certificate, and distinct from occasions when a person would be asked to produce such a record -

With migration, people would have use for their birth certificate for events later in life, and far from home.

Were certificates given......... ie routinely?. Were they available if requested?  Was a cost involved?

I think that a certificate might also be regarded as an artefact associated with life's significant events, similar to other rituals such as details entered in a bible, lock of hair of new baby, photographs, passenger ticket for emigrants etc..........memorabilia.........

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 08:17 BST (UK) »
Sometimes I wonder why we have birth certificates today, they seem worthless.  I have been blocked from applying from jobs because I don't have a passport (no the job didn't involve travel).  Offering my birth certificate in combination with proof of NI number did not allow me to apply.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 08:28 BST (UK) »
... whereas I was able to register at my doctor's with just a birth certificate (passport was in process of being renewed)
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline nanville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
SIMPLE REALLY, TO PROVE WE ACTUALLY EXIST.
scotland-anderson,bruce,wilson,carrick,elliott,fallan.
england-gribbon,evans,snell,anderson
australia-anderson, beattie
usa-campbell,anderson   canada-anderson.
mexico - Anderson and cramer

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
My husband and I were both born in the 1950's.
We have existed all our lives with just the short form birth certs.

I was born on a Sunday tea time,and first thing Monday morning my dad was at the register office registering my birth. He was given a short form and that's the only one I've ever had.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 09:10 BST (UK) »
Sometimes I wonder why we have birth certificates today, they seem worthless.  I have been blocked from applying from jobs because I don't have a passport (no the job didn't involve travel).  Offering my birth certificate in combination with proof of NI number did not allow me to apply.

That’s probably to do with the newish law (2008) about firms needing to confirm that you are entitled to work in the U.K. However, as it isn’t compulsory to have a passport, they should have accepted the proof you were offering according to the Gov.uk site. Next time challenge them!

. They need to show both:
     an official letter or document from a government agency (eg HM Revenue and Customs, Department for Work and Pensions, or the Social Security Agency in Northern Ireland) or previous employer, showing their name and National Insurance number
     a full birth or adoption certificate (that shows details of at least one of the birth or adoptive parents)         
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk