Author Topic: mary underdowne  (Read 4109 times)

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mary underdowne
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
hi tony

thanks so much for this, i just wanted the clarification on mary underdownes father, as i said could nt find any parish reg with her birth on just this "millennium file" on ancestry, then i found that wolfe fam tree thing on internet- the link above saying vincent was her dad so put it in, but then i found that book

but now i ve found an excerpt from a book called dane court st peters, a kentish manor and its families, by peter j hills, i think written in 1977, here is an excerpt from it

stephen tomlins eldest son of john 1600 to 1651 of northdown and updown married mary underdowne, daughter of john underdowne of st laurence, by whom he had 6 sons and 5 daughters, all this fits in with my tree other than the fact that it says mary underdowne s father is called john not vincent

so that threw me to wondering whether that book had better knowledge than the wolfe fam tree and the file on ancestry

i know phillis married to vincent was married to a richard harry for 2 years before, she was born phillis estice, i have both marriages on parish records all at at laurence, but i have no birth for her

john tomlins parents were both well dead by the time he married and his mothers maiden name was sackett but i dont have any siblings for her

i have this from that hills book again

1588 • St Peter, Kent, England

Marriage "Stephen Tomlin of St Johns (C.1605). Mary,Dau. of John Sackett of Sacketts Hill." Source - "Dane Court. St Peter's-in-Thanet by Peter J Hills"

got to go to work now, thanks again, catie

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
i think i ve been told that if 2 people were from different parishes they are registered at both

Banns would have been called in both parishes before the marriage  :)

According to redtonyt the marriage was by licence so banns would not have been called.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 16:50 BST (UK) »
The St Lawrence Register has an entry relating to the marriage but says it took place by Licence AT CANT.  My capitals.

For clarification,
Tony

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 April 18 01:59 BST (UK) »
should just say thanks for clarification on mary s dad being called vincent, so that book i was reading has the wrong father down for her
 i may have asked this before, but does it mean that the original birth, death and marriages are nt on line, just the parish register copies that people have made ?? and would those parish originals not have age, job and parents names on them like the ones you find or have the transcribers just not bothered to note them down ?? also on some people i have up to 4 or 5 parish registers about the birth of a particular person all different ones, why are there so many different parish copies ??
thanks again

tony i have another query about another kent line in same family should i start a new post or can i ask it here, thanks again

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 April 18 06:36 BST (UK) »
i may have asked this before, but does it mean that the original birth, death and marriages are nt on line, just the parish register copies that people have made ??

and would those parish originals not have age, job and parents names on them like the ones you find or have the transcribers just not bothered to note them down ??

also on some people i have up to 4 or 5 parish registers about the birth of a particular person all different ones, why are there so many different parish copies ??
thanks again

Often registers are very hard to read so transcripts may vary slightly.  You always need to check the source of the transcript and if possible view the original. 

Original records at that time had very little information, marriages often just gave Bride & Grooms name & date. 

There is only one parish register for each parish.  There is also a Bishops transcript - An Act of 1598 required Church ministers to make copies of their parish registers and send the copies to their Bishop each month. These copies are known as Bishop's Transcripts, or occasionally Archdeacon Transcripts.

Some online sites appear to have duplicated the same record which obviously causes confusion.  In the case of transcripts of marriages you sometimes see a marriage being quoted as having taken place in two parishes, as I stated in an earlier post it was possibly just the banns which have been transcribed as the marriage.

tony i have another query about another kent line in same family should i start a new post or can i ask it here, thanks again

You should start another thread

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 April 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
hi rosie

thanks for that, i read through a whole parish register last night and found about 10 births, 2 marriages and 2 deaths that i did nt have through looking up with ancestry, i think im good at deciphering them now lol, but some of these register are just for surnames not necessarily in chronological order  ,who would have made these registers ?? is it just members of the public who go to the church or is it their job to copy them ??

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 April 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
The Parish Register was completed by the Vicar/Rector/Curate etc of the Church to record what baptisms, marriages and burials he took.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:17 BST (UK) »
hi yes but the ones i see on ancestry look like they ve been written in the last 50 years or so ??

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 April 18 07:40 BST (UK) »
Can you please give us a link/details so that we can see an example of what you are referring to  :)