Author Topic: Christian name Idris  (Read 1035 times)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christian name Idris
« on: Monday 23 April 18 17:54 BST (UK) »
I have often pondered as to why my dad was given this name as his first forename - he was never referred to as Idris during his life , always George.
Looking at family names on both sides there is no one else carrying this name as far back as 1700.
I was also given the name as my first name but never used it when growing up and only more recently have let it become known and used on a more regular basis.
Was there any particular event in 1908 (when dad was born) which might have influenced the choice?
And there is no family Welsh connection either.
Any suggestions or thoughts gratefully received.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Christian name Idris
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 April 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
Just like any parent who hears a name, likes it and chooses to use it...so there doesn't need to be ancestry from Wales,( or Arabic which also use it)  it  sounds like it is a 'family' name used and repeated.

I have several family names in my ancestry, some come from logical sources others don't seem to have any logic at all.
When I started to research I could never find any of my maternal grandfather and his siblings as they all used their middle names and it was a great surprise to find them eventually in records all with different names I had never heard. Think it must have been a fashion at that time as several other researchers have found the same.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 18 21:59 BST (UK) »
Idris was a reasonably common name at one time in the part of Wales that I came from.

According to Wiki it is Welsh for ardent lord.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idris

Also, of course, Cadair Idris

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
My dad wanted to have me Christened with the name Idris. My mum put her foot down firmly, saying no and I didn't become an Idris. One of my uncle's had the name as his middle name. I quite like the name.
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".