Author Topic: Margaret Maria LeGeyt, wife of Morton Shaw. Did she die in 1847 in Cheshire?  (Read 2810 times)

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
  Margaret Maria LeGeyt was born in 1812 in Wingham, Kent. She was the daughter of Philip LeGeyt and Jane Cairnes.

Margaret first married Percy Drummond in 1837. Percy Drummond died about 1842 and Margaret then married Rev. Morton Shaw in 1846 in Brighton.

Morton Shaw was said to be "of Arley Chapel, Cheshire." Family records state that Margaret died "about 1846." I have found two death records for Margaret Maria Shaw in Q March 1847; one is in Runcorn and one in Altrincham.

My best guess would be that Margaret died while giving birth to a daughter given the same name.

Can somebody shed some light on this please?
Thanks
Richard aka Rkive
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Maria LeGeyt, wife of Morton Shaw. Did she die in 1847 in Cheshire?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 April 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
Not a lot of help, as according to the GRO site both Margaret Marias were 34 when they died!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Maria LeGeyt, wife of Morton Shaw. Did she die in 1847 in Cheshire?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 18 20:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Well at least that fits in with a birth year of 1812.

I have seen two death registrations for the same person in my family, so they could both be her. A newspaper article or similar would be the most helpful (apart from purchasing both certs of course).

Richard
RPJ

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
Newspapers

John Bull, 4 Jan 1847
DEATHS
On the 27th ult, at Arley, Cheshire, Margaret Maria, wife of the Rev Morton Shaw and youngest daughter of the Rev. Phillip Le Geyt, Vicar of Marden, Kent.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 April 18 20:15 BST (UK) »
They are about 20 miles apart though and I would think a double registration is unusual, I've never come across it. Also if she was married to a vicar, you'd expect him to know what he was doing.  ;D

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 April 18 20:19 BST (UK) »
  That's a load of Bull! (I'm referring to the death notice). Sorry. I couldn't resist.
 ;D
  Thanks very much. That's exactly what I was seeking. So poor Margaret would have died on 27th December 1846.
  Since they married in July 1846 and he was a man of the cloth, I'm assuming  ::) that Margaret didn't die in childbirth ... but one never knows.
Richard
RPJ

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 April 18 20:22 BST (UK) »
In response to Groom, two ladies with the same name and age would be a remarkable coincidence. Perhaps time will tell.  ???
Thanks
Richard
RPJ

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 April 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
One Margaret Maria Shaw was buried at Great Budworth 31 Dec 1846 - so perfectly plausible the registration was Q1 1847. 34y old - abode Aston. The latter doesn't say much in Cheshire as we have several! Burial by Wm Whitworth, curate.

Altrincham Reg District includes Aston by Budworth.

Runcorn Reg District includes Great Budworth, Aston by Sutton and Aston Grange!!

CheshireBMD has this:
Cheshire Death indexes for the years: 1846
Surname   Forename(s)   Age or Date of Birth   Sub-District   Registers At   Reference
SHAW   Margaret M   -   Budworth   Warrington      BUD/2/247
SHAW   Margaret M   -   Lymm   Warrington      LYMM/3/162

(OK - I never expected that - it appears that CheshireBMD indexes under year of death, FreeBMD under year of regstration! )

The above places are sub-districts - so sub-district Budworth is the Runcorn Reg District one and sub-district Lymm is the Altrincham Reg District one.

According to Wikipedia, "Arley is a small village in the civil parish of Aston by Budworth, Cheshire" - which is in Altrincham Reg District. Not what I was expecting from the burial location... Am I missing something?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 April 18 20:27 BST (UK) »
They didn't have a very long marriage did they?

You could order both certificates online from the GRO at £6 each rather than paper ones for £9.25. That way it would only cost you £12 to satisfy your curiosity as to which one was her, or if for some reason she was registered twice. It would also give you the cause of death.