Author Topic: Robert Mcintosh born about 1890 mystery  (Read 1510 times)

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Mcintosh born about 1890 mystery
« on: Monday 23 April 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
trying to find out more about Robert McIntosh born around 1890 to parents James Mcintosh and Margaret (M/s (Sharp)

1901 census the family are seen at 26 lowdens alley liff and benvie angus

siblings are James , John, Jane and Ernest , ROBERT 13 years old - 1901

in 1928 in YORK Ontario Canada , he married Helen Mcdonald Samuel (B 1893) of Peterhead , Scotland

Helen Is an Aunt of my Grandmother and none of her family are aware what ever happened to Helen and Robert , wondered if anyone can help find if they died in Canada or ever returned back to Scotland and died? would be interesting to know more about them as it remains a mystery

thanks ryan

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Mcintosh born about 1890 mystery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 April 18 20:21 BST (UK) »
Do you know what occupation he had?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 18 20:23 BST (UK) »
On the wedding cert it states he was a labourer

Ryan

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  Do you know when he left for Canada - passenger list or anything?  Is he home in 1911.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 April 18 20:27 BST (UK) »
There's no death of a Helen McIntosh, other surname Samuel, in the Scottish death indexes. So it looks as if Helen at least did not die in Scotland.

James McIntosh and Margaret Sharp were married in Dundee in 1878. If you go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk you can download at modest cost an image of their marriage certificate. This will tell you the full names of all of Robert's grandparents incuding his grandmothers' maiden surnames.

If Robert was recorded as aged 13 in 1901, he would have been born in 1887 or 1888.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 April 18 20:28 BST (UK) »
I did see a border crossing in 1920 but can’t be sure if it’s him as there are a lot of Robert Mcintosh in the results but could well be him ,

What I know is quite brief but there is a wedding cert and a border crossing for his future wife when she crossed in may 1927 they married in November 1928

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 April 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
Very valuable ideas thanks hope we can solve , someone in his home area must know something that maybe I don’t know , maybe they died in York Ontario but very hard to find ?

Ryan

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 20:50 BST (UK) »
I did see a border crossing in 1920 but can’t be sure if it’s him as there are a lot of Robert Mcintosh in the results but could well be him ,

What I know is quite brief but there is a wedding cert and a border crossing for his future wife when she crossed in may 1927 they married in November 1928

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=791324.0

Helen Samuel was on a Canadian Passenger List not a border crossing in May 1927 -
Southhampton to Quebec on the Empress of France - arriving 7 May 1927

reply 12 - this thread - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=791324.9

and in reply 60 - we know that Helen McArthur was mentioned as a relative of John McDonald on his death certificate (1932) - there didn't seem to be another Helen in the family that came to light.  ???

More questions than answers but also bear in mind that although we found a marriage record for Helen Samuel to Robert McIntosh 23 November 1928 in York Ontario.  The death certificate of John McDonald in Toronto, had a relative names Helen McArthur. So did Robert Mcintosh pass away ? Did Helen and Robert divorce ?  Is Helen McArthur, Helen Samuel McIntosh

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=791324.54

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 21:02 BST (UK) »
Excellent put together info Sandra thanks wish I was as experienced as you at arranging the key facts

I’m determined to keep working and find out

Thanks again to all for helping me

Ryan