Author Topic: Is there a family resemblance? a curiosity thread  (Read 3421 times)

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is there a family resemblance? a curiosity thread
« on: Monday 23 April 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
This is more a light-hearted question than serious genealogy but........looking at old family photos can you see a distinct likeness or an identifiable trait that runs through a particular line of your family tree?

My avatar is my maternal grandmother. I'd never seen a photo of her until quite recently as she died when my mum was a teenager, my mum had no photos and this was sent my a 2nd cousin. He wasn't even 100% sure if it is my grandmother although he knew she was definitely a Harrington as it came from a set of Harrington family photos.

My daughter looks so very much like her I'd be astonished if this wasn't a photo of my grandmother. My nephew, myself and one of my daugthers all have the very round face we share with other photos of the Harrington family.

So how about other Rootschatters?
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a family resemblance? a curiosity thread
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 April 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
Oh yes most definitely on my paternal grandfather's side, they pretty much all had the same nose and face shape.  Not inherited by my father or by me or my sister.  Got me wondering, but DNA shows my Dad to be a Y match with his cousin 😇
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Maureen Bell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 18 21:16 BST (UK) »
I have a photo of my great grandparents on my dad's side,my dad was the image of my great grandfather,and I look like my great grandmother.I don't know if my dad's looked like his parent's as they had both passed away years before I was born.My avatar is of hubby's great grandmother.I was emailed a photo of her and when I printed it out I could see hubby in her but only when her photo was coming out the printer upside down lol
Allum... Hertfordshire/Hornchurch Esse
Mccormick
Norwood..Hertfordshire
Capell..Hertfordshire/Buckinghamshire
Bell..Houghton Le Spring/Hexham Northumberland
Dawson ..Houghton Le Spring/Chester Le Street
Joiner/Joyner Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire
Wilson/Wardle Houghton Le Spring
Bassetts Cornwall/Houghton Le Spring
Spark Leadgate /Durham
Grunwel Robinson  Otley Leathley York
Bradford    Lambeth London
Johnson  Houghton Le Spring
Johnson  Bradford/York
Swinburn /Sisterson Northumberland

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 18 21:20 BST (UK) »
i thought i looked like the charlotte Roberts in newspaper who turned out not to be my great grandma
my cousins look like their great grandfather + we always talk about our Jones men likeness thru generations

your avatar is stunning btw

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 April 18 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill

First of all, since first seeing your avatar photo, I have thought what a nice and attractive lady.

Yes, there will be likenesses in some photographs / paintings and I noticed this in my Male line.

When I look at the painting of my 2 X Gt. Grandfather who died 1885 and look at my beautiful Granddaughter, I can see similarities in the forehead and shape of face.

Another male line from my 4 X Gt. Grandfather have sent me a photo of the Brother of my 3 X Gt. Grandfather who died 1860 (no painting or photo of my 3 X Gt. Grandfather).

However, I'm afraid I can't see striking direct likenesses with the photo of his Brother.

----------

Although, I can't see striking likenesses with my Grandfather and wonder if a striking likeness can be missed in a generation.

But my Wife can see me in my Father, Son, Daughter (from whom my Granddaughter was born) and my Grandfather.

Mark

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 April 18 21:42 BST (UK) »
have a peep and see what you think of this lot..

All related to me :)

:)

xin

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 April 18 21:50 BST (UK) »
In the past I would have said yes..... however my father died, my mother remarried and they moved 60 miles away built a house, set up a business. One day customer said something to me about my step father about how I look the most like him from all my siblings, although I and my 'sister' look like two peas in a pod.

I am an only child, he had 3 children from his first marriage and my mother and he have no children together........so I think it has more to do with what people 'think they see' or would 'like to see' certainly in that case
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 April 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
  There are a lot of deep-set, rather hooded eyes in one branch of my family, and we never dared tell my mother how much, as she got older, she resembled her fearsome grandmother!
   I found a photo on a grave site in America of a cousin of my gr grandfather. Both my daughter and my d-in-law looked at it and said "it's Uncle Bob!" (my uncle).
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 April 18 23:10 BST (UK) »
What about none-physical inherited  traits such as athleticism, clumsiness, artistic or mathematical ability, wisdom, courage, brashness, leadership, thrift, foolishness, etc. Are these as genetically inherited as facial/bodily  similarities? I am currently discussing this with cousins. It's a hot topic!

Martin