Author Topic: Is there a family resemblance? a curiosity thread  (Read 3429 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a family resemblance? a curiosity thread
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 11:14 BST (UK) »
I am often amused when people say how much my son resembles me - actually he was adopted and is no blood relative at all!  I think people look for resemblances. A neighbour of mine once said how much my husband resembled my brother's wife - she had assumed they were siblings, when of course they were not related except through my brother's marriage.

Very much so, people see what they want to see
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
My daughter and her cousin are very much alike -- so much so that at a family party even the cousin's young children kept calling my daughter "Mummy" !
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
People often say the family pet begins to look like its owner -- after a while :) :)   We had a friend with a Beagle all floppy eared and big eyes... just like his owner :) :)

xin

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 11:47 BST (UK) »
I have wondered in the case of adoption or of non-related individuals growing up together if they might develop similar facial expressions and mannerisms as well as styles, which might give them a bit of a "resemblance".

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
I have a photograph of my grandfather's 3 sisters.  One of them is the spitting image of my older daughter to the extent someone once thought she'd dressed up and had one of those antique effect photos taken.  I also have a photo of my Gran's brother taken at my gran's wedding, and my second cousin has a photo of her dad (mum's cousin) at the same age, they look identical, and her brother (obviously my other second cousin) looks the same as they did at his age.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
   Placidness and lack of ambition! "A steady, sober and reliable man". A definite tendency to stay out of the limelight, newspapers, law courts......!
That is amazing TopoftheHill because I know we have a connection with our Pay line and that could describe all of the men in my family.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 12:46 BST (UK) »
Ayashi, that is a very interesting comment. I firmly believe that you can acquire family mannerisms, and even around the country I noticed that there are local mannerisms. Quite often I've noticed on television, if the sound is down, and I have seen somebody I have been able to identify them as perhaps Geordie or Scouse just from facial mannerisms. I imagine with the prevalence of television and the internet this will start to die out, sadly.

Martin

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
  Rishile - that is interesting isn't it? It does make for a fairly happy life though! Unless they have a partner who is too different.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
My Great nephew who I mentioned earlier as being interested in music and dance is in a non musical family.  He does not see Grandfather (my brother) regularly as does not live near him.  However, he resembles my brother in looks, temperament and musical talent.

I have always loved reading and have always been considered a bookworm.  In this I am unlike any member of my immediate family but my Dad once told me that he had a cousin who was as much into reading as I am.  I do however have a great x 2 niece who I am told is very much like me with her love of books. 

When a small great x 2 niece once asked me who I was I answered that I am her Grandfather's Auntie.  This suddenly made me feel very old - I had somehow never envisaged myself as being the aunt of anyone's Grandfather.    ;D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner