Author Topic: Harry Grimble Newton born Kentish Town c1868  (Read 454 times)

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Harry Grimble Newton born Kentish Town c1868
« on: Monday 23 April 18 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
Really stuck on this one I'm afraid trying to help a friend with their research.
I have a Harry Grimble Newton getting married in 1901 to Ada Caroline Ward with the exact date the 3rd August 1901 annoyingly at the St Pancras Registry Office in London.  This was obtained via his Army Record which when he joined up in October 1918 he also stated he was 50 years old and 11 months making him born around 1867.  His record on the 1911 census with Ada and their daughter Ethel in Withington near Manchester, Lancashire also states that he was 43 at the time which is consistent with again being born around 1867.
His later death in 1924 is not as consistent though stating he was born around 1870 when he died aged 54 again in the Manchester area.
The only other information is via his army record that mentions his trade was a bank clerk but then also on the 1911 census that he was a Greengrocer and Fruiterer and that he was born in Kentish Town in Middlesex.
I cannot link him to anything further back strangely, even the 1901 census just a few months before he would have got married.
I cannot see any birth that would match too much either and nothing with Grimble which I'm positive he must have added at marriage possibly.
The best I could find was a Harry Newton born around 1864 on the 1881 census listed as a Clerk as his job but I'm not confident this is the same guy  :'(
Any ideas please would be most welcome
Cheers
Phil
Rayson - Bedworth pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Mills - Ireland pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Baxendale - Wigan pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Tallis - Bedworth pre and post 1850
England - Manchester pre and post 1850
Townsend - Halifax pre and post 1850

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Grimble Newton born Kentish Town c1868
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 April 18 22:04 BST (UK) »
What about the Harry Newton in Willesden in 1901 boarder?  Single born 1867 but can't read occupation as black lines through it.  Birthplace London N Hill - Notting Hill?

Where was Ada in 1901 census?  They could be close to each other.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
Is there a baptism for either child (1 had died by 1911) that might give a scrap more information or a marriage for Ethel?

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Milliepede for your help.
I did see the boarder listing for him and this could be him agreed as age matches and born area is in and around London. The occupation on FindMyPast states he was a House Painter which I guess again is possible but no link to either a Clerk or Greengrocer/Fruiterer.  Plus it doesn't really get me much further back as no other relations to go off.  Think I'm going to have to order the marriage reluctantly to progress.
Don't even get me started on any info from Ethel's marriage!!  3 marriages and 3 children to different father's but only 1 a true child belonging to both parents with the other 2 children's father's name left blank! I thought I'd got past the hard bit working all that lot out! Ha ha!
Rayson - Bedworth pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Mills - Ireland pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Baxendale - Wigan pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Tallis - Bedworth pre and post 1850
England - Manchester pre and post 1850
Townsend - Halifax pre and post 1850

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 April 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
He was an insurance agent on his army medical history sheet (18 Apr 1918) and I think it says Britannia Assurance Co in the margin.  Also noted “old oarsman & athlete”.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 April 18 22:30 BST (UK) »
Is there a baptism for either child (1 had died by 1911) that might give a scrap more information or a marriage for Ethel?

The deceased child seems to be Barbara Alice Newton mmn Ward, born & died Dec qtr 1904 Chorlton.

Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)