Author Topic: Can Any one help please with Roman Catholic Baptism Records please?  (Read 3696 times)

Offline jacky_d

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can Any one help please with Roman Catholic Baptism Records please?
« on: Tuesday 24 April 18 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi im wondering if any one can look up any information held within the roman Catholic baptism records from the list below or even give me guidance on how and where to start Iv used family search for many years and have a full list of of records which i can order to view my self however i have found it impossible to make contact with them to make any appointments.

Angelo Ponts ..Mother Francesca Ponts... 7 Canal st, St John, Cardiff. Born 16th sep 1885

Joseph Pond ....Mother Angelina Pond        Union work house Swansea. Born 16th Apr 1888(mother presumedly died but can not verify this as no records of her past this date can be found as my grandparents brought him up as there own son) and no records of the union work house from this year survive.

Joan Baptista Mazzone Father Antonio Mazzone..Mother Francesca, Born..25th Feb 1890 4 John St Georgetown, Merthyr Tydfil Lower.

Conjetta (aka Brigida/Bridget) Marcho (aka Marco, Mazzone/I)...Father Antonio Marcho Mother Francesca..Born 10th Jan 1892 Newcastle Bridgend

Thank you in advance

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can Any one help please with Roman Catholic Baptism Records please?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 May 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
I’ve had a look at the St David’s (Cardiff) baptism records and while there is no Angelo Ponts, there is an interesting looking baptism of an Angelo Sebastiano, father Angelo, mother Francesca, on 23 Sep 1885, of Garth Street. Can’t find anything else on the family though 🤔

Can’t help with the others sorry.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline jacky_d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 May 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Oh my word that's him oh dear this is well i cant explain honestly 20 years we've been looking for the fathers name and some have just had there DNA done and the only link leads to a man  Sebastiano Colis this is all so strange wow we, I know its a big ask but did it have any names of Godparents? my Italian side is just shrouded in mystery! thank you so much Deirdre784. I have emailed the latter day saints for all the RC records and iv been continually ringing them with no luck so far, however  i do appreciate they are very busy and are now only open one day a month up my way. Thank you very much for taking the time to do this for me.  ;D ;D

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 May 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
Fantastic, it did look promising, though a different address only a week or so after the birth, and I can’t find anything else on them. They don’t appear to be in Garth Street by 1891 either.

I only have the index on CD and that doesn’t include godparents. The registers are at Glamorgan archives though (www.glamarchives.gov.uk) and that would hopefully name the godparents. You could try emailing them as you have the baptism date (so not a huge search). Alternatively i will be visiting the archives sometime in July hopefully so could add it to my list of things to do.

Good luck.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline jacky_d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 May 18 12:46 BST (UK) »
This is really incredible I cant thank you enough honestly. And if you didnt mind looking it up for me when you go in July that would be amazing thank you again. But if I manage to get old of it via the latter day saints I will keep you updated.

in 1885 my gr8 grandmother Francesca was actually married when she gave birth to Angelo! and by 1891 they were using a different name up until 1910 then they went back to my family name!
In 1891 this is where they were
Antonio  Marcho head
Francesca Marcho Wife
Angelo  son
Joseph Son (presumed to be Francesca sisters son Angelina Pond)
Joan Baptista son Born (mazzzane)
Address was 33 Strand or stroud cant quite understand it! Swansea Castle, Glamorgan
In 1901 they were in 17 Market st Wrexham
Antonio Marco
Francesca Marco
Angelo
Joseph
Juan
Conjetta
Rocco
Jellet
and baby (philmania) was born mazzone even though they were using the name Marco
And in 1911 they went back to the family name Mazzone though the census says Maffone Now perhaps you get why its taken me 20 yrs haha
Kindest Regards Jacky_d

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 May 18 13:26 BST (UK) »
This is really incredible I cant thank you enough honestly. And if you didnt mind looking it up for me when you go in July that would be amazing thank you again. But if I manage to get old of it via the latter day saints I will keep you updated.

Not an easy family to trace 🙄

I don’t think you’ll get the baptism info from the LDS as I don’t believe the registers have been digitised. Hence the suggestion that you could ask the Glam archives to have a look for you (hopefully they’d even take a copy for you). But no worries, i’ll look when i go there.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 May 18 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There are 2 x Mazzone people listed in the phone book in a village not far from Wrexham called Buckley.
Maggsie

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 May 18 13:31 BST (UK) »
This is the Church you need to contact.
Cardiff Metropolitan Cathedral

The Metropolitan Cathedral Church of St David, also known as St David's Cathedral Cardiff is a Roman Catholic Cathedral in the city centre of Cardiff, Wales and is the centre of the Ro…
•   Address: 38 Charles Street, Cardiff CF10 2SF
Maggsie

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 May 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
This is the Church you need to contact.
Cardiff Metropolitan Cathedral

The Metropolitan Cathedral Church of St David, also known as St David's Cathedral Cardiff is a Roman Catholic Cathedral in the city centre of Cardiff, Wales and is the centre of the Ro…
•   Address: 38 Charles Street, Cardiff CF10 2SF
Maggsie

The registers before 1915 have been deposited at the archives, so no longer at the church.