Author Topic: Clark family  (Read 1303 times)

Offline thomsos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clark family
« on: Tuesday 24 April 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone make any improvement on my family photo

Thank you
Sandra
Researchig - Clark from Polmont, Wason from Dailly,

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Clark family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 13:16 BST (UK) »
Sandra, your request seems to have dropped down the board, un-noticed. But - further delaying things, I'm sorry - we're not allowed to post images of living people on Rootschat - except for immediate family from whom we have permission. Do you believe your photo would be okay in that regard?
Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline thomsos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 13:27 BST (UK) »
Yes I do believe this is ok.
Researchig - Clark from Polmont, Wason from Dailly,

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
Small starter:

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra, this is my try.

To be honest, I'm not sure whether it's any better (or perhaps worse!) than the original. I started out by just trying to balance out the darker and lighter sections. The more 'balanced' version showed much more 'colour distortions' than in the original. There was pink/purple everywhere! I tried to fixed that (rough and ready) and removed most of the spots. But (zoomed-in) there were still large 'blocks of different colours/tints that indicatecd a low image quality (low resolution in combination with a high jpg compression level.). I smoothed over the 'blocks' as best I could and probably lost some detail in the process.

Just one comment (intended purely in a positive, helpful way): I fully realise that members get photos from all sorts of sources (past and present) for which they request restores. They often don't have access to the original photos.

It's just (always) worth mentioning that this photo looks to me like a photo of a photo (rather than a good quality scan) and that the file size is rather small (12.5% of the maximum allowed). This is often an indication that either the photo resolution (which in this photo is OK) and/or the saved 'jpg' quality level are lower than they might be. Many members 'inherit' or discover old digital photos and have no influence on the digital quality.

If you do, by chance, have access to the original photo (and if it's important to you) you might want to consider scanning it with a resolution of at least 300 (and preferably 600) dpi and making sure that your scanner save the file as a 'best/high quality' jpg file. If you were able to do this, you'd get much more sharpness and detail in the photo (original and restored).

If you're happy with the restores that members submit, just forget all the above  ;)

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 April 18 11:03 BST (UK) »
My try.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 April 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
My try.

Offline thomsos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile