Author Topic: LivingDNA test  (Read 5262 times)

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LivingDNA test
« on: Tuesday 24 April 18 13:16 BST (UK) »
I've taken a LivingDna test and now have 10/12 weeks to wait.

I'm particularly interested in the new Family Networks facility soon to be launched.
Has anyone else taken this particular test and although it isn't available yet, do you think it will stand up to it's claim once it's live?

This is their claim...

"Living DNA’s matching tool will take the guesswork out of relationships by predicting relationships with more specificity than any other competitor. With input as minimal as DNA and birthdate, Living DNA can build a family tree that shows where matches fit in.

The unique computation this feature provides gives customers, even those who upload from other DNA testing sites, a level of relationship prediction and specificity beyond anything currently on the market.

This can be especially useful for adoptees and family searchers who are trying to locate long-lost family members but who don’t have any information on their biological family, Living DNA can translate their matches into a potential family tree, giving them a clearer place to start from."

I'm sceptical that this is even possible......?

Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LivingDNA test
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 13:27 BST (UK) »

I'm sceptical that this is even possible......?

And yet you still did the test. Care to explain why

EDIT

@ Jill Eaton.  Sorry if I have been over blunt. I had kept my post short as I did not want to give away why I was asking the question as that might have influenced your reply. Anyway the reason I asked why you were testing with a company that seemed to be promising things they could not deliver is that I have come across this company before. There has been questions asked about this company on here before. Initially when I saw their PR on what they were promising it looked quite exciting. however after searching out what others said about the company on the web I decided not to pursue an interest with them. To specifically answer your question "I'm sceptical that this is even possible......?" the way I look at that is yes it is possible as they are not promising facts just predictions and opinions and we can all do that. Sadly too many people take their predictions (which are not as scientifically backed as they would like to claim) and opinions and run with them as hard and fast facts which they are not.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 14:19 BST (UK) »
Jill, I wouldn't put it as bluntly as davidft, however, I am wondering why you have paid to be tested with them.  They accept raw DNA data -' We can accept autosomal DNA from either 23andMe©, AncestryDNA™, Family Tree DNA, or MyHeritageDNA. '

If not happy with results from the transfer because they aren't complete, like at familytreeDNA, perhaps consider full testing.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
I have tested with this company because years ago I had my MtDna done at Ancestry. I kept a paper print out of the results but no longer have access to the raw data to download. Ancestry no longer offer the mother-line test so I looked at the other options.

I have uploaded my autosomal to various other sites - MyHeritageDNA and MyFamilyTreeDNA.
I've had independent and actually quite promising matches from both these sites but wanted to
see how good LivingDNA was. I didn't know that they were offering this new facility until a couple of days ago and it didn't influence my decision.

I'm happy to take part if it helps me break down my brick walls but can't really see how it will work.
If it throws up good results then I won't worry about the science and just bask in the feeling of achievement.

I am still curious as to whether anyone else has taken the test and whether they think it's possible to get genuine accurate additions to a family tree with DNA alone.

Hollingsworth - Essex
Lane - ?
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 20:42 BST (UK) »
LivingDNA are also supposed to be better for those with British ancestry (according to the various reviews I read before deciding) as they break down the locations into smaller, more defined regions in the British Isles. And all three sites that I've got my autosomal DNA on agree that I'm 100%.

I've a reasonable grasp of the geographical locations of my ancestors for approximately the last 175 years, barring the ones who refuse to give up their background via the paper-trail route. it will be interesting to see where LivingDna places them.
Hollingsworth - Essex
Lane - ?
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
Jill, Thanks for that clarification. I have read up a little more about it, I didn't realise that it was a paternal, maternal and autosomal all in one test.

You will be missing out on the YDNA test, so will by definition be excluding some of the information that they would require to build your paternal line back any further than a regular autosomal test.

I will be interested in your results, but find it difficult to believe that it will work  ???!

But there again, a few years ago, who would have predicted that autosomal DNA would connect you with potential 8th cousins?

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 20:55 BST (UK) »
Jill, Thanks for that clarification. I have read up a little more about it, I didn't realise that it was a paternal, maternal and autosomal all in one test.

You will be missing out on the YDNA test, so will by definition be excluding some of the information that they would require to build your paternal line back any further than a regular autosomal test.

Regards Margaret

You are correct Margaret. Unfortunately, I no longer have any direct male relatives to test. My father and brother have both passed and my nephews are my sister's children.
Hollingsworth - Essex
Lane - ?
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 08:56 BST (UK) »
I uploaded my FTDNA results and have an expected time of  August results. Dont care about any promises or facts.

Neither fussed nor excited to see the results, its another tentacle in that search for people connected to me.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 12:52 BST (UK) »

Regards Margaret

This is an interesting point but presumably roughly half of the contributors are likely to be female and will only have a paternal line if they have a male relative contributing as well. I imagine it's even more of a challenge to construct an accurate tree without the YDna and only the Mtdna

The site is also launching a "Family Matches" facility to match results with others which adds yet another database to the existing ones I already use.

I haven't used Gedmatch for a while as I was having trouble uploading raw dna.
Hollingsworth - Essex
Lane - ?
Elwood - Cambridgeshire