Author Topic: Strange middle name  (Read 6216 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Strange middle name
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 26 April 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, perhaps Ethel did "get over" Frederick's death quickly in order to produce another child just 14 months after his death - she's definitely not the first to do that, nor the first to be duped by a male who was NOT a "gentleman".  You also have to remember that she had 3 young children to look after, the eldest being 5, AND there was no welfare state to support the family.
....  and it was WW1. Life was short, no time to waste. It's possible the real father was a war casualty.
Cowban

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 26 April 18 23:17 BST (UK) »
George was born in 1916 at Fleece Yard  Friars Street. Kings Lynn.

Just out of curiosity i saw on the 1901 census a William Ernest Cook born abt 1883 at Linays Yard. I cant see him in 1911.

Very good possibility, but I suppose I will never get to know.
Hides; Wilmore; Whitney; Laughton; Lambley; Bampton; Cox; Kirk; Major; Heathorn; Bailiss

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 27 April 18 00:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry for dragging this out, but one final question please.

I was thinking it would be interesting to see the baptism record, but with him being born in 1916, records online seem to stop around the 1897-1900 years.

If I wanted to view his baptism record, would I need to travel to the parish personally. If so, how could I find out which church it would be in the first place?
Hides; Wilmore; Whitney; Laughton; Lambley; Bampton; Cox; Kirk; Major; Heathorn; Bailiss

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 27 April 18 01:01 BST (UK) »
George was born in 1916 at Fleece Yard  Friars Street. Kings Lynn.

Just out of curiosity i saw on the 1901 census a William Ernest Cook born abt 1883 at Linays Yard. I cant see him in 1911.

Very good possibility, but I suppose I will never get to know.

There's always DNA. My great great grandmother was Elizabeth Jane Uglow HAMLEY. Her mother's brother married an UGLOW the year after and we had our suspicions that one of her brothers might have been responsible. My mother took a DNA test on Ancestry and I ended up finding multiple matches to members of the Uglow family, although we may never know which brother was responsible. If a descendant ended up doing DNA and they get matches to members of the COOK family, especially the chap above named, you might find that you can put forward a likely theory.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 27 April 18 04:12 BST (UK) »

I was thinking it would be interesting to see the baptism record, but with him being born in 1916, records online seem to stop around the 1897-1900 years.

If I wanted to view his baptism record, would I need to travel to the parish personally. If so, how could I find out which church it would be in the first place?

Norfolk Record Office should be your first port of inquiry, to see what registers have been deposited there.

http://www.archives.norfolk.gov.uk

Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 27 April 18 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

So, she was in Grimsby around the time of conception?

Just recording that there is a George E Cook of the "right/slightly older" age in Grimsby in 1939.
I am not inferring that he is/was involved at all, and it is well after the event.
Just something for your notes pile.

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 27 April 18 11:20 BST (UK) »
As George was born in Kings Lynn, I automatically assumed she went straight back to parents. I never thought she'd stay in Grimsby a little. Thank you for pointing it out, and your find of Cook in Grimsby.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 27 April 18 15:30 BST (UK) »

Look at GENUKI website for churches in the area. Also county Online Parish Clerks project. Even if county OPC haven't yet transcribed baptisms for the years you want, the website may have information about churches such what years they were open. Do you know denomination of church other children were baptised at? Baptism entry may or may not give you any more information.
Cowban