Author Topic: John Docherty and Mary Docherty(Nee Campbell)  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Maik

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Docherty and Mary Docherty(Nee Campbell)
« on: Tuesday 24 April 18 18:18 BST (UK) »
Looking for information regarding John Docherty and Mary Docherty. All have have at the moment is the following. Mary Docherty died in 1929 in Port Glasgow whilst giving birth to her second child. The child died at Birth. John and Mary already had one child called Jessica and they all lived at 41 and a half King Street Port Glasgow. I would like to find if John Docherty had any brothers and sisters on his side of the family. I do know that John Docherty died shortly after Mary, leaving their only daughter a orphan. A Mr. and Mrs. Kirkwood looked after Jessica since being made a orphan.

If any one can help, I would be truly greatful.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Docherty and Mary Docherty(Nee Campbell)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat ...do you have the death certificate for John Docherty ? that will give you his parents names and you can try and find him on census forms which will let you see what family are there ..www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for certificates in Scotland ...

Do you have a date of birth for John Docherty and where was he born ?

Rosie

Offline Maik

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 19:05 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I only have the name John Docherty and that he was a motor car driver (This is mentioned on the Death Certificate of his wife and child. The only other information I have is that he lived at 41 and a half King Street Port Glasgow in 1930

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 19:12 BST (UK) »
Do you have a marriage certificate  ? Not seeing a birth for Jessica Docherty ?where was she born

Rosie

Offline Maik

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 19:29 BST (UK) »
I do not have a marriage certificate for their marriage but I do have the birth certificate for Mary Campbell she was born 21st November 1901 in Lochgilphead
Jessie Docherty was born 26th May 1930 Port Glasgow and Mary Docherty (the baby that died at birth)18th March 1931
Mary Docherty (nee Campbell) was caught pregnant out of marriage, which was a disgrace back in the day. Her parents and family disowned Mary and shunned her. Mary and John did get married before Jessie was born. When John Docherty died, friends of Mary and John informed Mary's family in Lochgilphead, but was told they were not interested in the child and wanted nothing to do with her.
Therefore Jessie was brought up by friends in Port Glasgow. I am finding it very difficult to find anything out about John

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
I think this could be their marriage 1930 Blythswood
Mary Gillies Campbell John Docherty ...I would suggest you buy some credits And view  this record ...Would say this is your Mary Gillies  Campbell born 1901 Lochgilphead death for Mary Gillies Campbell 1931. St Rollox  other name Docherty
 ..The marriage certificate will give you John's parents and witnesses

Rosie

Offline Maik

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
Oh my god ! I have been trying to get this information for over twenty years and you do it within a hour, On her Birth Certificate it is actually Mary Gillies Campbell. How do I buy the credits and what web site must i use?

Thank you so much

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
If you search www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk you will need to register to set up an account you can then buy 30 credits for £7.00 ..to view and download the marriage will use up 6 credits which will leave you credits to use on other searches ...Once you have his parents names you can then check for their marriage then look for them on the 1911 census ..Good luck and let us know what you find

Rosie  :)

Offline Maik

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 20:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. I am on it now, I will let you know how i go on soon,