Author Topic: Magee Family 12-13 kids  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Magee-Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Magee Family 12-13 kids
« on: Tuesday 24 April 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
HI,  My gr. grandfather, Micheal J. Magee came to USA (Chicago) to live with his Aunt and Uncle (The O'Kelly's). Michael arrived in Chicago probably bt 1885-1889 (?). He was the youngest of 12-13 siblings and he was sent to USA, for a better life and never saw anyone from his direct family again. Relatives say he was from Belfast, but others say he was from County Antrim and not from the actual city.  I would love to know what happened to his parents or why they sent him and not any other children.  I can see Magee is a common name in this area so it might be impossible to find ancestors bc I do not know his parents names. If anyone thinks of any connections, I would love to hear!  (Btw, all of my ancestors are from Ireland, but his story is most unique as he was sent alone and as a young child.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Magee Family 12-13 kids
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat
It would be best to try and find a marriage for Michael to get his father's name.
A passenger record of his journey to USA would also be a good idea

The 1911 Census of Ireland can be searched by number of children born and or living but we don't know if all the children were still living in 1911 or if 12-13 sibling refers to surviving children, it would also require that his mother was still living to get results this way.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 08:53 BST (UK) »
Is this your Michael Magee? born 1866 Ireland, wife Bridget, etc.- gives parents as Thomas & Bridget-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2M6-C2ND

Same Michael Magee in other records-
1920 census- arrived US 1889
   https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MJQ5-MV9
1930 census- arrived US 1889
   https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XS5D-S5B
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Magee-Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sinann and Aghadowey!   I appreciate your hard work.  The research on Micheal Magee is going to be hard b/c  when he came to America and lived with his aunt and uncle, he probably assumed their last name as 0'Kelly.  He was legally adopted as 0'Kelly when he was in his twenties.  It's fascinating how my own father doesn't know more of his background - just of the O'Kellys in Chicago. It's like the Magees never existed!  I think Michael was very affected by his sad childhood, but sure made the best of things as he was ambitious and went to the World's Fair at the turn of the century and was fascinated by a technology and started his own business.  His first customers were Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Ward! He was forever grateful of how his life turned out and helped SO many people that he saw as "down and out."  By the way, his company is still in business after 114 years in Chicago!  I'll find out more and get back to you!  Thank you!

Offline Sherry Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
If his aunt and uncle were John O'Kelly and Margaret Ward who married November 18, 1880 at Banbridge. Then your Michael's parents may have been John Magee and Catherine Ward and he may be the Michael Magee born 15th October 1880. Odd thing is though.. there is a Mary Magee with same parents listed and she died in    Chicago, Cook, Illinois on August 25, 1940.. so if it is the right family then Michael wasn't the only one who went to Chicago

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 18:41 BST (UK) »
If his aunt and uncle were John O'Kelly and Margaret Ward who married November 18, 1880 at Banbridge. Then your Michael's mom may have been a Ward and he may be the Michael Magee born 15th October 1880 Lisburn(pre-1973 Q4)

More helpful to post links to actual register images-

Michael Magee- parents John Magee & Catherine Ward
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1880/02855/2046251.pdf

Death: Mary Magee (c1862 Co.Down, Ireland-1940 Chicago) parents John Magee & Catherine Ward
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NQ63-33N

Margaret Ann Magee (1867)
Bernard Magee (1870)
Fanny Jane Magee (1873)
Felix Magee (1875)
John Magee (1877)

Offline Sherry Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 18:47 BST (UK) »
My ipad doesn't like links for some reason.. sorry.. and Margaret Ward O'Kelly's death is on there too.. July 27, 1923... says her parents were Bernard Ward and Anna Laughlin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't even try to post from my tablet- goodness knows what would happen! Isn't technology wonderful  ;)

Bernard as Catherine's father could fit with son born 1870 called Bernard. Probably other children as well which might show up in baptismal registers. However, getting confirmation that Michael's parents are John & Catherine from marriage and/or death certificates would be nice- although he might have listed aunt and uncle as his parents.

Offline Sherry Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 20:49 BST (UK) »
Since Mary Magee was the informant on Margaret Ward O'Kelly's death It's probably pretty fair to assume that it is the right family.