Author Topic: Margaret McConville and Henry Cunningham  (Read 1988 times)

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret McConville and Henry Cunningham
« on: Tuesday 24 April 18 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hello,

This is truly a brick wall for my family.  I need some advice on where to look for any information on Margaret McConville and Henry Cunningham of Mullartown.  They are listed on the 1851 census index of being in Mullartown, but obviously the census was destroyed so I cannot gather anymore info.

I know they have two sons Charles and Henry.  Charles was born around 1850 and died around 1917 and their son Henry was born about 1860.  I cannot locate evidence of those births in baptisms. There is a possible other Henry Born 1844 in Glasdrummond, Lower Mourne (19 min away) to a Henry Cunningham and M Conville, but I can't see a death for that Henry to know if it's MY Henry and Margaret's son.  I'm sure their are other children that I have tried to look for in order to trace them, but no success.

I have looked through census, land records, will records (thanks to a suggestion on a post about charles), parish records and civil records, but I cannot find anything concrete on Henry or Margaret.  No marriage and no death that fits.  I have looked in Down and the counties around Down.

Any help on where to go to break down this wall would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Nich
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret McConville and Henry Cunningham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 01:15 BST (UK) »
Glassdrumman would be a the nearest church to Mullartown, the other church in the parish is Ballymartin so the baptism may well be correct

I assume you have the census search form
http://censussearchforms.nationalarchives.ie/search/cs/details.jsp?id=21517

I think it says Henry is a Mason?

Have you checked the parish records
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0413
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 08:27 BST (UK) »
Earlier topic on Charles Henry Cunningham for reference since lots of information was posted there-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=785278.msg6403538#msg6403538

Not sure if you've seem this one yet but a Margaret Cunningham, spinster, age 51, died 1879 at Mullartown- a Francis Cunningham was the informant-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1879/06532/4882374.pdf

He might be the Francis Cunningham who died in 1884 (age 55) with brother William as informant-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1884/06318/4811864.pdf

However, there are lots of Cunninghams in Mullartown so it would be very easy to start tracing the wrong family!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Yes Cwellan, that is the census search I used.  If it was filed in 1901, so doesn't that mean one of his parents at least should have been alive then?  I was under the impression that the search was to prove one of them was elderly enough for pension.

I went through the registers once, and am now going again to see if I missed them, so far the only one I've come across is the 1844 Henry.

Aghadowey, yes it was my post which inevitably wasn't solved about Charles--we were looking for his birth.  But it did offer me the suggestion to look into the wills, which found his brother Henry (d1916).  We didn't get anything concrete on Henry and Margaret.

I've seen the Margaret Death, but didn't feel the info was concrete enough (especially with her listed as spinster not widow).  There are actually a dew Margaret Cunningham's who I have found dead in Mullartown, but they are either listed as a widow to a man of a different name, to young or spinster....and as you said there are a number of Cunningham's so I don't want to trace the wrong ones. :)

appreciate your help.
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
I posted a link to previous topic so that others could see what's already been found.

I've seen the Margaret Death, but didn't feel the info was concrete enough (especially with her listed as spinster not widow).  There are actually a dew Margaret Cunningham's who I have found dead in Mullartown, but they are either listed as a widow to a man of a different name, to young or spinster....and as you said there are a number of Cunningham's so I don't want to trace the wrong ones.
I wasn't suggesting that the Margaret who died in 1879 was the wife/widow of Henry Cunningham. On the contrary, she was probably too young to be her (born c1828) but she could have been a daughter or relative so just something to keep in mind.

It is difficult when so many people with the same surname (and often Christian names) are in a townland but I find it usually helps to put them, as much as possible, into family groups- sometimes new information allows you to link them up a bit better at a later date.

... that is the census search I used.  If it was filed in 1901, so doesn't that mean one of his parents at least should have been alive then?...
The pension application was made by Charles Cunningham in 1916 and a search was done of the 1851 census based on the details he supplied. Pension age was then 70 and the family were found with an abstract of the 1851 census sent to applicant. Therefore, it's clear that both parents were alive in 1851 (they could have died between 1851 and the start of death registration in 1864) and were living at Mullartown at that time. One other important detail is that father Henry was a mason.

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 13:40 BST (UK) »
Aaa. I’m new to Irish genealogy records. I misunderstood the pension file. I thought it meant that his parents were alive to get a pension not Charles himself. Thank you for that clarification. 😊

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 13:46 BST (UK) »
It can be confusing when you are starting your research but if you keep track of everything found it might be useful one day.

My great-great-grandmother came from a townland which at one time had 17 families with that surname. A distant cousin in New Zealand started his research by finding a family tree in records office for one of those families. Seventeen families and 16 of them related/almost certainly related. The odd one out was a minister who came from outside the area to the church and of course that was the 'family tree' found. Cousin then passed it on to me and I passed it on to a descendant of that family  ;)

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 April 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
Finished another look through the parish record (marriages 1839-1852 and baptisms 1839-1864) and the only freference to a Henry Cunningham and anything close to Margaret McConville is that 1843 Henry baptism I mentioned.

There are a ton of baptisms with a father Hugh Cunningham but no Henry and wife isn’t Margaret.

They are definitely a catholic family so I’m finding this a might odd.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 April 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
Next stage is to search adjoining parishes.