Author Topic: Margaret McConville and Henry Cunningham  (Read 1993 times)

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret McConville and Henry Cunningham
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 April 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
yes I agree.  at this point I have done a double/triple check of the surrounding parishes of Killkeel, Kilbrony, Clunoff, Kilcoo, and Bryansford/Newcastle.  Still nada. I'm now going further out, but still nothing.
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 May 18 21:51 BST (UK) »
Is that your Henry on plots 56 and 59b in Griffith's Valuation of Mullartown? If so, have you looked through the Valuation Revision Books to see if and when the land changed hands?

If it goes to "Reps. Henry Cunningham" that seems to mean he died and his family is handling it. Within a year or so it then goes to the next tenant. There may be a few years' delay after a man's death before it shows up that way on the books. All from my experience anyway.

My first thought was that they left, but if Charles' address in 1916 was still Mullartown, then probably not. But I have seen two men that left and came back, both in Ballintur, between Kilkeel and Rostrevor. One was my grandfather's cousin, and it had me misled for years.

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 May 18 22:01 BST (UK) »
I have not looked in the valuation revision books and I fact have not heard of them. Where might I find them?

Thanks for the tip.
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 May 18 22:11 BST (UK) »

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 May 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

I was able to find mention of what you mentioned in 1869 ref number VAL/12/B/19/19A image 80.  Henry's name is crossed out and "Charles Cunningham" is written in blue below it---I'm thinking this is his son Charles.

So then in theory Henry died between 1860-1869, which I assume could give Margaret ample time to remarry as her son Henry was only 9 at that late time.  At least I have a timeline to look for deaths, as looking through for marriages/baptisms has been sadly unhelpful.

Thanks again for the info.
Nich

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 May 18 13:43 BST (UK) »
The valuation book notes the changes were made in 1877. There is a death for a Henry Cunningham in 1878-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1878/020497/7192765.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 May 18 13:57 BST (UK) »
@nichbuket
You're welcome.
In the valuation books, as the last poster points out, look in the right margin for dates,and try to match the color of the ink to the changes in the first column. That tells you when the land changed hands, (or sometimes, in the other columns, when the lessor changed, or the valuation.)

Sometimes they spell Cunningham as Cuningham.

The Henry who died in 1877 was in Tullyframe.
There is one who died in 1874 and one who died in 1876, but for these you have to order the image.

The civil records 1864 to 1922 are here
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 May 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
ok so the observation number is the is the date.  I thought it had something else to do with the property. Thanks

The problem with the death is it lists him as a bachelor, not married/widowed etc. Thank you for clearing the town name up. Between these, I don't think it's the correct Henry.

I also saw an civil index listing for a Henry died in Kilkeel 1865, which may be too far off from the revision books, but there is no image available to see the details either.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 May 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
Bear in mind that death was not the only reason for change being noted in Valuation Book- could also indicate person had moved away. Also, if a son (grandson, nephew, etc.) with the same first and last name took over a holding the change usually wasn't noted in the book.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!