Author Topic: I知 a new member trying to trace my Irish roots  (Read 3228 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I知 a new member trying to trace my Irish roots
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 09:40 BST (UK) »
From the Irish Times of 25 April 1882:

SULLIVAN AND MCKEON - April 20, 1882, at the Parish Church, Fairview, by the Rev. Wm. Keon, P.P., Edmund, eldest son of the late John Sullivan, of 63 Lower Gardiner Street, to Alice Maude, second daughter of Captain McKeon.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
From the Irish Times of 28 December 1880:

SULLIVAN - On the 27th December, at 63 Lower Gardiner Street, Emma, the beloved daughter of John Sullivan.  Funeral will take place at (?).30 o'clock on Thursday ?.

An Emma Sullivan was baptised (RC) on 10 March 1862 (born 16 February), Clontarf parish, parents given as John Sullivan and Ellen Wilson.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 10:08 BST (UK) »
From the Warder and Dublin Weekly Mail of 26 July 1902:

HENRY - July 15, at Ben Edar, Sutton Cross, after a protracted illness, Ellie, the dearly beloved wife of James J. Henry, Assistant Town Clerk, Dublin Corporation, and daughter of the late John Sullivan, 63 Lower Gardiner street 

Here was the marriage:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1886/10827/5949039.pdf

And the couple in 1901:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Howth/Burrow/1270472/

Note the sister Frances Sullivan mentioned in the 1901 return, a Frances Sullivan was baptised (RC) on 12 May 1856 in Clontarf parish, the parents given as John Sullivan and Ellen Wilson.

Edited to add: From the Dublin Daily Express of 3 December 1885:

Henry and Sullivan - Nov 26, at the Church of St Joseph, Berkeley street, by the Rev John Byrne, C C, assisted by the Rev Alfred Murphy, S J, James J Henry, Assistant Town Clerk of Dublin, second son of the late William J Henry, Town Clerk of Dublin, to Eleanor (Ellie), eldest daughter of the late John Sullivan, of Lower Gardiner street, Dublin.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
Ellen Wilson may have had a brother John William, if this from the Cork Examiner of 1 August 1849 is relevant:

At Carlow, on the 25th ult., John William, son of John Wilson, Esq., Violet-hill, county Dublin, to Jane, youngest daughter of the late Wm. Parsons, of Carlow, Esq.

And possibly also a sister Margaret, this from the Freeman's Journal of 24 January 1851:

January 23, at Finglas Church, by the Rev. Edward Wilson, uncle of the bride, Henry Jebb Jones, Esq, to Margaret, daughter of John Wilson, Esq., of Violet Hill, county Dublin.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 10:42 BST (UK) »

From the Limerick Reporter of 11 May 1852:

At Finglas Church, John Edmund Sullivan, Esq. of Dalymount, to Ellen, daughter of John Wilson, Esq. of Violet Hill, county of Dublin.

Further to above, this other notice for Ellen's marriage carried by the Dublin Evening Mail of 10 May 1852 mentions the Rev. Edward Wilson, so the reference to a sister Margaret in reply #21 immediately above is looking good:

May 4, at Finglas Church, by the Rev. Edward Wilson, uncle to the bride, Edmond Sullivan, Esq., of Dalymount, to Ellen, daughter of John Wilson, Esq., of Violet Hill, county Dublin.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 11:41 BST (UK) »

Bingo! Look at the following Wills and Administrations Calendar entry (left page, bottom entry):
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GT93-9MHM?i=385&cc=1921305

Can be seen here as well:
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/details.jsp?id=1639268923

From the Dublin Daily Express of 31 October 1881:

Sullivan - Oct. 29, at the George Hotel, Limerick, aged 56 years, John Sullivan.  Funeral will leave his late residence, 63 Lower Gardiner-street, at nine o'clock to-morrow (Tuesday), 1st November. - R.I.P.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
From the Flag of Ireland of 1 July 1882:

TOBACCO AND CIGARS.
The Old Established Firm of
EDMUND SULLIVAN AND CO.,
Wholesale Tobacco and Cigar Merchants,
47 FLEET STREET
(Late 63 Lower Gardiner-street),
DUBLIN.
Both British and Foreign Cigars carefully selected.
Country Orders punctually attended to.

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
link shrunk by Moderator

Hi Cwellan,

I hope you don't mind as I'm unsure if you or some others may not know, at the bottom of each page/thread, in the brown coloured portion, 2nd column, below where it says 'Your Tools' (written in white), there's a link which has "ShrinkLink (make long links short)" where you can input long links & end up with this...

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ly7/

Which is a link to your original long link...

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/captcha.jsp

A very useful thing & saves a lot of space especially when using a link to a source in your tree or anyones tree.

Annie

Thanks I didn't know this!

I am normally posting on the desktop and can shrink the links on it, but not on my phone, so very useful
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)