Author Topic: Why would a DNA test be useful to me?  (Read 3021 times)

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Why would a DNA test be useful to me?
« on: Wednesday 25 April 18 03:59 BST (UK) »
Whilst I've seen various treads and news on DNA testing I never have and still don't consider it particularly useful to me.

However a sister purchased a DNA test from Ancestry for my birthday in Jan which I still have have sitting here unopened. I guess I will use it as it is a gift from a sister who joking stated that she wanted proof I was her brother. I have 9 siblings and jokes aside we are 99.9% confident we have the same parents. I do recall the birth of 6 of them at least, well kinda I wasn't actually in the room.

Mick
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Why would a DNA test be useful to me?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 07:05 BST (UK) »
If you donthink want to take/do it can you re- gift it ..
they are expendive presents

Or  put it for someone of a different generation or aunt or nephew .

You may discover cousins you didn't know you had .
Or it will help your sister find extra matches ..you may find yourself with a bit of scandinavian or Celtic blood you didn't know you had

I found relatives who knew more about a particular branch in Scotland and someone who could explain what had become of the American cousins

All the best with it
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
You may find your Bradbury link
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
I had no interest in doing a DNA test but like you I got one for Christmas and I'm having great fun with it.
Nothing groundbreaking but it's fun working out how people match.
Helped solve one unnamed father puzzle for a match, still working on an adoptee puzzle with another match.
It's also made me look again at parts of my tree and I spotted a couple of records I'd missed before so I'm glad I did it.

You have nothing to lose by trying it.

Online Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
I've never been interested in doing one either as I don't see that finding out what % you are this or that is of any use.

However have read about "matches" - how does that work?  Does the report give you a list of possible family names to contact or what? 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 11:18 BST (UK) »
Seeing as you have it, you might as well use it. However, I have no interest in the commercial DNA tests, after seeing a comparison study of the effectiveness and accuracy.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
One of the problems with the current trend of giving DNA tests as presents, especially for Mother's Day and Father's Day is that even though I imagine most people will complete the test and send it off and even look at the results, I can imagine many people don't bother replying to emails from people who have found a match. I think that would be one of the biggest reasons why people contact somebody and never get a reply. I know I would reply if somebody gave me a test, (any offers?) , but at least one of my siblings just wouldn't be interested.

Martin

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
You may find your Bradbury link

That is a great point, there is a likely possibility that he used his mother's maiden name.

Mick
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 11:36 BST (UK) »
I've never been interested in doing one either as I don't see that finding out what % you are this or that is of any use.

However have read about "matches" - how does that work?  Does the report give you a list of possible family names to contact or what? 

I can only speak from my own experience, I don't  like quite a lot of people who do the test have a tree on or subscription to Ancestry which people who have both and do DNA tests find annoying.
You get a list of matches with other people who have taken the test with the same company.
So in my case I started with 109 matches, it's gone up to 123 now.
1 was a first cousin
1 was a second cousin
about 10 3rd to 4th cousins
and so on.
I already knew my 1st and 2nd cousin but I sent messages to the 3rd to 4th some responded some didn't.
Yesterday I uploaded my Raw DNA (you can download this, from in this case Ancestry) to MyHeritage, it's still processing  but it should be interesting to see what matches I get there.

I should add, not all features are open to me but I can see Shared Matches, so for example I made a list of all the matches I and my 1st cousin shared that why I know which side of the family they are on and can include that in the message to them.