Author Topic: Why would a DNA test be useful to me?  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why would a DNA test be useful to me?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
I see thanks for explaining  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 April 18 07:44 BST (UK) »
You can see the  person who s dna tree matches
Even if you don't recognise the surname you can search by names or location to see how you match

Someone who came up as 3rd cousin. To my mum actually was grandson of her grandmother who.do married and had a legitimate son who never knew about his half' sister my nana .

By location I.m seeing distant cousins who also have a link with a particular place ..but we.ll have to work furtherback in our trees to find the conNecton s
Some people put photos on their profile ..so you and see if there's a family resemblance .

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 April 18 08:39 BST (UK) »
I have found distant cousins on both paternal and maternal branches - it backs up my tree for those branches.

I have documents to back up my pedigree from 1837 but DNA has helped prove what was already on my tree.

My paternal 3rd gt grandparents in the 1841 census were with their 2 youngest children, a son and daughter. The son was my 3rd gt uncle and I have found DNA links to me from people who have him as a 3rd and 4th gt grandfather so that confirms my 3rd gt grandparents and my 2nd gt grandfather. Two month ago I got links to my 2nd gt grandmother so now confirming both my 2nd gt grandparents. Last month my gt grandfather was  confirmed as the son of my 2nd gt grandparents and my grandfather as their son. I have DNA links to my gt grandmother that confirms my gt grandparents. A complete paternal line in DNA from my 3rd gt grandparents to me. Late last year I also got confirmation of my paternal grandmother's mother's family.

On my maternal side I have one line from myself to my 4th gt grandparents and out to someone in America who is also the 4th gt grandchild of the couple.

I believe that DNA can help with backing up your papertrail and help before the registration of BMDs began.

P.S. don't expect it all to fall in place straight away, it's taken about 3 years to do this and I've got several where we haven't yet found where the link is.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 April 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
I have heard a few cases of people with Irish ancestry being able to crack some long-standing brick walls through DNA, so I have sent my test off and I'm currently waiting for my results.

If it's been given to you as a gift, then I see no reason why not to take advantage of it.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 April 18 21:01 BST (UK) »
My parents did DNA tests.

For me part of the interest in going through my mother's links involves backing up the paperwork, because it might suggest I've gone wrong somewhere if one place is void of matches but also just because it was written down doesn't necessarily make it true! Case in point, my grandfather has a birth certificate naming the man my great grandmother left her husband for, but DNA has confirmed conclusively that her husband was the biological father (something we already knew from family resemblance). Non-Paternal Events can and do happen.

Another thing is tracking down people where there is a lack of paperwork. My great great grandmother was illegitimate with her father not named. With the DNA, we've narrowed him down to one of five men and while we might never know which one did it, I now know the family he came from.

One last thing, as an aside, is helping other people. When you get a group of "shared matches" and you've identified where some of them are related to you, you can say that so-and-so must be related via the BLOGGS line somewhere and you might be able to solidify someone else's research.

Offline rebeccaclaire86

• RootsChat Member
  • I'm not stuck, I'm ancestrally challenged...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 April 18 07:10 BST (UK) »
I’ve done one and am now testing other family members. I like that you can prove parts of your paper family tree; I found it fascinating that I connected with a cousin the other day with whom I share 5x great grandparents, I love knowing that’s correct. And I know that our three common matches will likely fit in on that branch somewhere.

Also, my great nan and great great nan were illegitimate. I have been given a name for each father from a relative - I’m hoping DNA will prove or disprove them.
Buckinghamshire; Bignell, Talbot, Janes, Gibbs
Cambrigeshire; Cockerton, Sharpe, Purkis
Hertfordshire; Rolph, Bigg, Marvell, Pateman, Hornsby, Jenkins
Norfolk; Crowfoot, Randlesome
London; Wyatt, Yarroll
Somerset; Date, Hodder, Leatherby, Webb
Suffolk; Palfrey, Yallop, Kerry, Codling, Steward, Pettitt
Ireland & Canada; Hanna, Teel, Cowin, Switzer

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 April 18 08:45 BST (UK) »

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 October 21 04:42 BST (UK) »
Just received my DNA results from Ancestry today.
552 4th cousins or closer.

My sister who gave me the test as a birthday present likely won't be happy with me as I keep spamming her FB with points of interest from it.

I'm aware the below is approx and likely will change.
Ethnicity Estimate
Your DNA looks most like DNA from these 5 world regions
England & Northwestern Europe
43%
Your communities with a connection to this ethnicity region
The Midlands, England
North West England & the Isle of Man
Scotland
31%
Ireland
12%
Finland
9%
Your communities with a connection to this ethnicity region
Western Finland
Satakunta, Pirkanmaa & Southwest Finland
Satakunta, Pirkanmaa & Southern Ostrobothnia
Central & Southern Finland
Southern & Eastern Karelia
Sweden & Denmark
5%

I have ancestors from several Shires in England and from Wales. (I see no mention of Wales)
I do have Ancestors from both Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.
I do have one Ancestor from Finland, which may also account for Sweden & Denmark.
My Ancestors from  Northern Ireland may account for the Scotland connection. The 31% does seem way too high to me.

I had expected a German connection as I have surname "Schacht" as several times Grandparents who lived in or around London. I've assumed and wiki suggests it's a German surname.
Maybe Sweden & Denmark could come in here.

Note: I likely still have relatives in Scotland that descend from 2 Northern Ireland born girls that remained there when their parents and siblings emigrated to Queensland, Australia.
Plus there are the 2 girls aunts and uncles Ralph's descendants.

I saw somewhere on the results that I may have a connection to Tasmania that I am not aware of. My only known convict relative wasn't there.
I do have several ancestors that I haven't traced out of Australia that may be from Ireland or Scotland.

I'm still exploring the results

Mick

Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 October 21 08:01 BST (UK) »
There are lots of things I have discovered:
I have traced the line of an unknown father, just don’t know which of the five sons did the deed.
I reconnected with a half first cousin and found others I didn’t know of.
Confirmed the name of my 3X great grandfather.  My 2 X great grandmother always put John Ellis in fathers name.  It was John Hughes Ellis.  I confirmed this through a match in NZ who always put his full name.
Connected with more people from these lines.
Found out why my grandmother chose some stranger as executor of her will when she had siblings and an aunt and uncle still alive.   He was married to a cousin.
Ethnicity I ignore and argue with.  How can my liking of the bagpipes make me 16% Scottish.  The same as my son whose father had a long line of Scottish forebears.

James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531