Author Topic: Invalided out of Navy - "Penelope"  (Read 614 times)

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Invalided out of Navy - "Penelope"
« on: Wednesday 25 April 18 07:25 BST (UK) »
My request may sound a bit picky.....

My relative had signed up for 10 years with the Royal Navy. Some dates:

11-13 Jul 1882: on board the "Penelope" at the battle of Alexandria (confirms family story)
Jul 1882:    Not on Newspaper casualty lists of wounded/killed on the "Penelope"
6 Oct 1882:   Naval record shows invalided out of Navy (confirms family story)
7 Nov 1882:  "Penelope" returns to Home Port in UK

My question is are there any records which tell me whether he was discharged while on the "Penelope" and remained on board until the ship docked in Nov.  Or could he have been taken off the ship and brought home earlier?  What was the usual practice?

On a 1890 record, his father said he had suffered sunstroke in the past.

Thanks, Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Invalided out of Navy - "Penelope"
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
While I am hunting for an answer, my instinct says that if he returned to the Penelope's home port on 7th Nov 1882 then that would be his discharge date.  I think his discharge date would have been the date he left the ship (either at another UK port or possibly a hospital in the Mediterranean - maybe Gibraltar or Malta).

If the naval record does not give more detail, your best hope would be to trace the Penelope ship's log to see if there is a note of your relative being put ashore (this should be the fifth HMS Penelope, a corvette launched in 1867 - image on wikivisually).

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JayNQ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Invalided out of Navy - "Penelope"
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 April 18 00:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your informative reply.

The naval record gives no indication of where or why he was discharged. A difficult to read comment in the remark column next to being invalided out is "Traced (or) Faced P. 11 Oct 1882"

I was also thinking he may have been sent home before the 6 August 1882 on leave after the bombardment of Alexandria 13 Jul 1882.

Anyway, the large scattered family had regrouped and had migrated to Oz in stages in 1884.  As a  lot had happened to the family between 1880 -1884, I have been looking for reasons for their migration.  Sadly, this rellie was found drowned in the Brisbane River in 1890 aged 26.

Thank you again, Gazania