Author Topic: Family secrets on BBC Radio 4  (Read 961 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Family secrets on BBC Radio 4
« on: Wednesday 25 April 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
I'm just listening to a short program about this subject, and I'm sure it will be of great interest to anybody here. A similar thing happened to me when I found out that a favourite aunt was actually my father's mother. The description of the show is as follows:

"For the Victorians, privacy meant keeping people out of your business. We hear from geneticist Sir Paul Nurse who has had several family secrets kept from him. We learn the importance of secrecy within the family as he describes the revelation of these secrets."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0869tfs

Martin

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family secrets on BBC Radio 4
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
Having delved into my family I have found out things no one else knew about, well didn't till I discovered it,  one being a child born, father named and shown as  dec'd on birth cert (he wasn't) only for me to discover another man was taken to court for maintenance, and she won,  his name not even on the birth cert, no DNA in those days, really don't know how she got away with it.
I suspect there are many a secret gone to the graves with the persons concerned.

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
I'd love to confront some of my dead ancestors about the lies that they tried to conceal. It's ironic but I almost know more about my ancestors than they did about themselves.

Martin

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 00:41 BST (UK) »
BBC 4 may look into the missing babies that Lottie. Roberts took from single girls and placed with respectable couples

These babies b1902-1907 would have known nothing about their origin as taken very enough to have official baptisms and even birth certificates with new couple .....
But I bet it's thrown some people comparing DNA

So they didn't necessarily lie ..just ignorant
1 baby was returned to grandparents  who brought him up ..the descendants knew nothing of this adventre" abduction/traffic/n fostering

1 generation fascinated the other shocked not wantingredients their grandmothers to be known as having had baby out of wedlock.
(I could do with some DNA  of the babiy who was lotties to see if she is indeed my great grandmother not another woman with same name ) still sleuthing ....looking for actress friends of hers whow could have had a boy at the same Time as Lottie .l906
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson